Extruder Calibration a must

Has anyone considered creating a video showing how to do this for folks who are very new to this world? While I’m capable of reading, i am somewhat overwhelmed at what I’m trying to accomplish and exactly where in Luban I’m trying to control this process.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

There’s actually a bunch. One skill I’ve learned is to be creative when researching. Snapmaker 2 is a new printer but 3d printing has been around very many years now, so there’s a lot of content if you don’t add snapmaker to your search terms. That plus this thread and you’re good to go.

3 Likes

Thanks Halr. I think my problem is not understanding my way around Luban yet. I’ll try to work on figuring it out.

2 Likes

Not a bad request. Just saying there’s some general video content out there. I personally am not a video learner, but I know many are.

Might be better off spending your time learning Cura or Prusaslicer. There are a lot more videos on those two out there already.

-S

3 Likes

Hello all!

I did the extruder calibration test.

My initial value was E212.21 after extruding I had 21mm of filament left. This gave me a new value of around E265.

Then I redid the test and ended up with around 10mm of filament. At E355 I had 3mm of filament left.

Can anyone tell me what is going on. According to logic it seems to me that E265 should be correct. 20mm is 1/5 of 100mm and 265 is 212 + 1/5.

I don’t understand why I end up with 10mm left if I extrude again.

Thank you for explaning.

moses

Did you miss the M83 before calibration?

1 Like

Hi chrisd

I am quite sure I put it before the first G1 command. Do I have to put it each time? Send it individually or together with the G1? Do I have to end it when finished?

Seriously what was said about learning a different slicer is time well invested, luban will never have as much control as cura. i havent tried prusaslicer but i hear its good too. i currently use simplify3d but thats expensive.

to be blunt - luban is just a stepping stone to something more powerful.

I restarted from scratch. I measured again from E212.21. Before every G1 I put a m83 send command. Then I changed to the new E value and saved it. The filament is still underextruded.

i never really confirmed mine but i suspect its not right either.

what value did you enter for extrusion length and what was your measurement you marked on the filament?

I think I had to power cycle mine to take effect.
Did you try that and check that the setting was saved with M503?
-S

E100, after adjusting E 6-8mm

What do you mean power cycle?
Yes I checked…

turn off and on.
(
-S

@chazr33gtr this post is super popular but the complete and accurate instructions are spread all over the thread. You wanna turn this into a wiki so we can fix it up? Or, you can pull the relevant parts from below and edit yourself?

@halr9000 Yup good idea… what you thinking is best. I have a youtube channel could post a video on there?

A youtube video would be cool but teaching tech has some straightforward directions for the process, getting the unit connected via USB could use its own little walkthru so people use the right port and get the driver and stuff first tho so it could be cool to have a whole start to finish :smiley:

1 Like

@chazr33gtr videos are cool but just editing your first post would be a quick win. You can copy from several of the below and credit folks as needed. Thinking to save time for the next person to hit this thread so they don’t have to read the whole 100+ replies.

2 Likes

@halr9000 I’ve just got it set back up for 3d printing again and trying to tune to get better prints and noticed in the m503 dump that the M200 command (which in most gcode flavours sets filament diameter) is set to 3.00 and that volumetric extrusion is disabled. Maybe the root of all these problems are the fact that the filament diameter is off… will investigate further