Extruder Calibration a must

After you have set the new value M92 Exxx.xx. And you execute M92 (without parameters). Does it show you the new value you have just set?

1 Like

Yes. I see the change I made Exxx.xx. when I rerun the 100mm test it is still close to 20mm showing. I have added the difference to the Exxx.xx value, saved, power cycled and still the same. Iā€™m gonna check M92 in the morning and if it shows the new Exxx.xx value, Iā€™ll run a test cube. Thank you all for replying and helping.

Can you copy paste literal output from the console window (or a screenshot) when you have done the M92 commands? So these commands all executed sequentially

G91
M92
M92 Exxx.xx
M500
M92

If the output of the two M92 commands is different but when you do a G1 to extrude and the result is exactly the same Iā€™m stumped.

What feed rate are you using? I was measuring the same number as well after changing the E-value and the reason was because the feed rate was so high that regardless of the E-value it was producing bogus results. From my experience Iā€™ve had good results in < or = F150.

1 Like

Just donā€™t forget to set the machine in relative mode (M83) before doing the extrusion (G1 E100 F300) or it will simply not extrude anything.

For the rest, it worked great for me! I found a whooping 11mm difference, so I set the E step at 283.43

So my value was also 212.21 and I measured it to have 21.5 mm remaining. This seems to equate to 270 point something. I set it to that and made a print but it seemed worse and then when I remeasured it again while it was still at the 270 setting I got 12 mm remaining still. So I set it back to 212.21 and the print is not wonderful but not too bad either. So does this calculation really work or is there something wrong?

You must have made a mathematical miscalculation somewhere, as 21.5mm remaining means the new value would be 215.44162. However, I have a feeling that you also made a measurement mistake, as well, as virtually everyone has a real working value around 238.00 +/- 10.00.

Wrong!
212.21E = 100 mm - 21.5 mm = 78.5 mm
100 mm = (212.21E / 78.5 mm) x 100 mm = 270.33E

2 Likes

Your calculations are incorrect:

It is not 100mm, it is 120mm in the first line. If you need help, here is site that goes through all of the 3D Printer calibrations that there are. Not all apply to the Snapmaker:

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#esteps

Ok, so I had more success with the instructions from the Dr Vax Youtube channel. This is what worked for me:
1: Measure off 12 cm using a ruler (aka 120 mm) from top of the extruder and mark; I used a small piece of tape. We use more than 100 mm since if you mark it with tape like I did and the setting is too large you donā€™t want the tape to enter the extruder.)

2: M83 (Set Relative Position)

3: M503 (Look for the G92 line and record the E value which is 212.21 by default)

4: G92 E0 (Reference Position 0)

5: M104 S206 (Pre heat nozzle to 206 C for PLA; if this fails you can use the touch screen to do the same)

6: M109 S206 (Wait till temp is 206 C and output ā€œ0kā€; if using touch screen wait until it says temp is 206 C)

When nozzle temp reached, extrude 100 mm:
7: G1 E100 F100 (F100 is 100 mm per minute seems to be needed?)

8: Measure remaining distance between mark and top of extruder in mm. Mine was 26 mm so it was 6 mm to little. Call this ā€œRemainingā€

9: Calculate new E value with formula: (Old E Value * 100) / (120 - Remaining); in my case this was (212.21 * 100) / (120 - 26) = 21221 / 94 = 225.75

10: M92 E225.75 (Set new value for E your value may differ according to calculation in step 9)

11: M503 (Double check new E value is correct in G92 line

12: M500 (save to EEPROM

Somehow this worked for me and may help someone?..

If you checkout the link above, and presented again here:

Teaching Tech 3D Printer Calibration

Youā€™ll see that it has all the steps laid out, and a simple form to enter your values which outputs the G-code that you need to enter. The only thing that I change, is to set the feed speed at F150, as that is very close to the actual feed speed when I print.

ENJOY!

1 Like

I donā€™t want to get personal.
My calculation is correct - you simply donā€™t understad it.
You mark 120 mm so you can see if it extrudes a bit more than 100 mm.

You want to extrude 100 mm (G1 E100 Fxxx). But it only extrudes 94 mm (edpaayā€™s last exapmle: 6 mm short, so he hasnā€™t extuded 100 mm but 100 mm - 6 mm = 94 mm).

So the new E-value for M92 would be 212.21 / 94 x 100 = 225.76

Ok, just be nice to each other.
I admit that I wrote initially that you were wrong - and that wasnā€™t right of me. Sorry for that!
But my calculations arenā€™t wrong either. 6 mm short simply doesnā€™t mean the same like 6 mm left to the 120 mm mark.

1 Like

I never said that it does, and that is where you made your mistake. He specifically stated:

And his mark was at 120mm. So, 120mm - 26mm = 94mm. You skipped 2 steps by substracting 20mm from both 120mm and 26mm to come up with 100mm - 6mm, which is not how the formula works. Please read back to the original formula, and you will see that it uses the total length to the mark and amount remaining to the mark.

In your first statement you subtracted 20mm from 120mm, but you failed to subtract 20mm from 21.5mm, which means your 78.5mm result is 20mm short, and the answer should have been 98.5mm.

Best of Luck!

it would be wonderful if this process was built in under the calibrate tools

1 Like

I am notoriously bad at math. However, I checked it right now and the value I calculated 225.75 is spot on. Now when I tell it to extrude 100 mm it does exactly that, so it worked for me :slight_smile:

Iā€™m noticing a new issue, possibly due to firmware or due to switching to the new print head. Iā€™ve performed this calibration many times, but recently (past couple of weeks) Iā€™ve noticed that no matter what I do the amount extruded isnā€™t changing. My Estep values are definitely being changed and saved, but they donā€™t seem to be affecting output. Multiple filaments, multiple reboots, firmware checks, etcā€¦ and Iā€™ve done this a ton and never had previous issues. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: slowed my feed rate to F150 and that seems to be working. Iā€™ll play with this more, but a reliable behavior has definitely changed for me.

Sounds like you might be slipping/overpowering the extruder.

Perhaps you have a partial clog or temperature measurement issue, if you have a spare hotend you could try swapping it out and see if you can get your feedrate back up.

when I try to feed at f300 i get the filament being chewed up and i never get close to the 100 or ever 120 mm. not sure why. any ideas?

Thanks

Caleb

Then donā€™t try to feed at f300. Try F150 or F100.
Make sure youā€™re using an appropriate attempt for the filament youā€™re using. And if youā€™re using a hardened nozzle, and not the stock brass, you might need to up the temp 5-10Āŗ.

-S