Dual Extrusion calibration

I updated the SM2 A350 firmware and I installed a new Dual Extrusion Module. The Leveling procedure complained about the module height and requested that the printer be powered off.
I have a 1/8" glass bed plate installed, which is probably why the process detected a height issue.
There must be a gcode parameter setting that set the maximum height to a larger value, however I have not been able to find it.

Also, I want to know the filament extrusion calibration procedure for the dual extrusion nozzles.

There are several articles on that here in the forum. That said: For me stock values work surprisingly good, never bothered to calibrate them (unlike with the SX, where calibration is a must).

Yes, I know, I have read most of the articles, however there must be an E value for each nozzle, that is what I have not found.

Please do not overlook the more critical issue, namely:

I just received my new Dual Extrusion Module for a Snapmaker 2.0 A350. During the calibration procedure it complained that the height of the print module was not correct and requested a printer shutdown. I have a 1/8" glass plate installed on the print bed (I would like to continue using it). Is there a work around to inform the printer about the bed offset (presented by the glass bed) so that I can use the Dual Extrusion Module?

George

Does it have a magnetic sticker? otherwise the probe won’t detect it probably.

Or it’s too thick and you need to make a change to the firmware. (I reported this here: Dual Extrusion: Bed leveling assumes fixed values for height · Issue #285 · Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Controller · GitHub and extra info here: Dual Extruder stuck in bed level calibration)

Or you can try to probe the bed directly with the nozzle; that should work on glass too: Dual Extruder: bed leveling with nozzle i.s.o. proximity sensor

I opened a technical support ticket with Snapmaker. They suggested that I install the original bed with the magnetic pad, then complete the calibration then use the manual calibration procedure for the glass bed. That was in fact my first thought, however I wanted to get a better understanding of the details involved.

Well, after I reverted to the original be setup, the calibration still fails!-(

I noticed that there is a foot in the middle and behind of the two nozzles on the bottom of the Dual Extrusion Module. The foot does not touch the bed during the initial calibration attempt (just before the failure) using the original bed configuration. When the glass bed was installed, the foot was landing on the glass retaining fixture at the left front corner of the bed, which is probably why its calibration failed.

Just after the printer boots, it asks if the quick swap kit is installed, which I have been responding with “No” except for one time, I responded “Yes”. I wanted to see if this changed the bed height calibration detection. This does appear to be the case.

I’m concerned that a nozzle could break the glass during an automated calibration, therefore I do not want to try another glass bed calibration unless I get some assurance.

My glass bed does not have a magnetic sticker. I would like to know more about why it is required, how to obtain a magnetic sticker, and how it is installed.

I did read your Issue #285 article, then reviewed the github snapmaker2-Controller (GitHub - Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Controller: Snapmaker2-Controller is the firmware for Snapmaker 2.0 3-in-1 3D Printers.) information. I really do not want to compile and load printer firmware code to correct a problem that needs to be resolved by Snapmaker.

With the original extruder module using the glass bed, I would do a manual calibration when required. I’m ok with that. If I can get it to where: I can use the Dual Extruder Module (with a glass bed) and an automated calibration, that would be fantastic.

The auto calibration feature is entirely magnetically driven, that sensor is on both the Single & Duel Extrusion modules, look at the bed carriage there’s embedded magnets all over it, the system works. You might need to adjust the sensor on the head unit using a 1mm feeler gauge as its supposed to be exactly 1 mm from the tip of both nozzles and you can’t do it while its installed. I’ll look for where I found that info from

The Dual Extrusion module height sensor is not adjustable.
Reinstalling the module, I noticed that I had choose the wrong four screw holes on the module. In other words, the module was installed incorrectly, such that it was lower and left of where it should have been.

The Artisan series printers have glass build plates. Since my glass build plate is thicker (1/8 inch) than the original flexible build plate (more distant from the magnet) it may not be possible to use the automatic calibration with my glass plate. However, now that the auto-calibration completed, I again have access to the manual calibration options.

The more I use the Dual Extrusion module, the more I like it.
The design and functionality is impressive!
I will have more to say about it after reinstalling the 1/8" glass build plate.

From what I’ve seen so far, the auto-calibration may work for the glass build plate, because the calibration is broken-up into parts: bed leveling (does not touch the bed), Z-distance (cautiously lightly touches the bed), and XY alignment (prints a pattern). There is also a sensor sensitivity adjustment in the settings.

Later on I’ll have to work on myself in order to not make stupid mistakes…-)

OK, not arguing you’ll figure it out. TCHUSS

Auto bed leveling for the 1/8" glass build plate did not work (at this time). The manual bed leveling worked.
Since a glass plate is very flat and rigid by design, if the auto bed leveling simply did not using all the base plate magnets (avoiding the bed edge points), that should do the trick.

The rest of the auto-calibration items (Z-height and XY-align) work.
I did perform the height sensor calibration and the printer reported successful.

FYI: I tested the Dual module nozzle filament extrusion calibration and it was spot on.

Since I did not break my glass build plate, it was a successful day!