Dual Extruder - Extruder stringing/blobbing when switching

I don’t know whether this is a slicer issue or firmware. I’m using Cura and set to wipe when changing Extruder (I’ve also tried with wiping between layers). What happens is on a change of extruder, the new extruder locates it’s start position on the model and then goes and wipes. If there is any oozed filament on it, it gets deposited on the model either leaving a string or a blob “scarring” the previous layer. Ideally it should wipe before dropping on to the model to ensure that the nozzle is clean.

I can’t find any settings in Cura or Luban which would force this, am I missing something?

I’ve eliminated most of the “normal” stringing by reducing the temperature that I’m printing at

As a test I printed calibration cubes, one per extruder, sliced in Cura and Luban. Luban moves the print head off the model before changing extruder then wipes. Cura changes on the model. Time to compare the gcode

To resolved the issue you need to add Extruder end g-code into your Machine settings in Cura to force it to change extruders over the wipe tower:

G0 X {prime_tower_position_x} Y {prime_tower_position_y}

Thanks to D1Spartan for sharing his Cura setting. This specific one is at 28:37

1 Like