Disconnected frequently?

I haven’t yet found a solution.

| DrBunsenHoneydew
July 19 |

• | - |

HI, I am having the same trouble (Snapmaker will disconnect somewhere between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. I have the most recent firmware installed, and, have replaced the digital module (cellphone looking thing, although I replaced it for a different reason).

I also have a mesh (3 extenders) and moved one of those to within 5 feet of the printer.

Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks. Will

If I recall correctly, some people found that using 2.4 ghz networks allowed them to have better stability. There is, or at least was, a situation with specific wifi channels that did not work well, specifically if they were not used in china. you could try a different channel.

Probably not the answer you’d like, but…

Although the firmware is a little better now and this has become less of an issue, evidently for some (you included) its still a thing. The greatest solution would be to not print over wifi, instead send the print to the machine and execute from the touch screen.

Another potential route is to get into an octopi, but thats a different world.

I’m fine with printing without WiFi - but I can’t even stay connected to the UI long enough to get something designed and laid out.

Is anyone using the Snapmaker software? The hardware seems amazing. The software seems really poorly thought out.

| MooseJuice
July 19 |

• | - |

If I recall correctly, some people found that using 2.4 ghz networks allowed them to have better stability. There is, or at least was, a situation with specific wifi channels that did not work well, specifically if they were not used in china. you could try a different channel.

Probably not the answer you’d like, but…

Although the firmware is a little better now and this has become less of an issue, evidently for some (you included) its still a thing. The greatest solution would be to not print over wifi, instead send the print to the machine and execute from the touch screen.

Another potential route is to get into an octopi, but thats a different world.

The software isn’t great. I am not sure what you mean by cant get something designed and laid out.

I am not sure what function you are doing, but you can do the work offline, have it loaded to the workspace, then connect right before sending.

You also have the option to go USB or run even from a USB stick, but its a shame you have this issue in any case.

in terms of 3d printing, the userbase quickly starts leaning towards cura, prusaslicer or simplify3d for getting the model sliced out. from there, its a mixed bag, i personally like i said just send over wifi and execute locally from screen, but some people only use thumb drives.

Hi @Nobody , which version of the Snapmaker Luban software and firmware you are using? The latest Luban is v3.15.1 and latest firmware is v1.13.1.

For Luban software: https://luban.xyz/
For firmware: Snapmaker 2.0 Firmware Updates and Downloads

You may have a check on the log if the problem happens again.

On the Luban software, click on View > Toogle Developer Tools, then select the Console tab on the right pane. You may take a screenshot of the error log and post it here.

@Potter someone posted a ways back about the different WiFi bands varying from country to country. Countries have bands that try to get connected if a connection drops. It’s known the US (and other countries) has bands that China doesn’t allow (the reverse is also true), if the WiFi tried to connect to one it would probably soon drop it. Do you think this could be a cause? If so, this actually wouldn’t be Snapmaker’s fault at all, international laws and such. But what could be done is having the list of compatible bands from country to country that are compatible so it would connect.

I believe it would be their fault, when the Snapmaker is in the US i was under the impression FCC rules require the device to never attempt to use bands other than US ones? (i am now trying to remember if it asked me my location during setup or not…)

There are no 5GHz channels mainland China uses that are invalid in the US. China’s 5GHz spectrum is strictly a subset of the US allowed channels.

That’s not necessarily true with 2.4GHz, as China uses channels 12 and 13 and the US does not: Understanding Wireless Regulations in China

2 Likes

@scyto I’m not entirely sure, I only stumbled across that post on accident.

Edit: after reading more, @brent113 is right. Although I think there’s an exception to channel 12 and 13 but am unaware if it has merit. I thought it was the US that had more channels but it’s not.

Sauce (not confident on credibility):

That could be part of the reasons. I’ve encountered the similar problem in China. I’ll consult our R&D tema for a further check on the channels and make some tests if possible. Will be back if somthing new.

1 Like

Maybe the developers could just set luban to attempt to reconnect 3 times, 1 per second before reporting disconnect? I almost never have to hit connect more than twice to get right back in (but sometimes it will disconnect again before I can hit the print button)

@DrBunsenHoneydew that would just be putting yet another bandaid on a gunshot wound. They need to fix the cause of the problem instead of constant updates that try to compromise with it instead of fixing it.

You are very correct Artezio, I agree. I have just lost hope that they will, so, I was supposing that there may be a simple cheat. Or maybe a temporary “fix” until they can get their act together.

@DrBunsenHoneydew Potter is looking into it possibly being caused by the channel regulations in China vs places like the US. More info is not too far up the thread. Haven’t heard back yet and I don’t expect to anytime soon either, as testing that would require Snapmaker to be able to do it somewhere other than China that has less channels. They only have one affiliated person in the US and he is in Texas, and he’s only a liaison and not official Snapmaker.

Yup, if he wanted I would be happy to test for him, and, I bet there are smarter people in the community that would be more than happy to test for free. I could even see “fixing” the problem being new hardware, and, that the cost would be too much for them to handle to fix it. I am always willing to do a “jury rig” fix (heck, anyone who does 3dprinters better get used to that term) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A well planned bandaid sometimes is the best answer. sometimes its not worth reinventing the wheel when you can use a creative little workaround to solve the problem

Agreed, but the problem is there are already so many bandaids lol.

Hi all. New update from me. I replaced my wireless router, now it works flawlessly.

What did you change from and to?

My new one is a TP Link Archer AX21.
My old setup Tenda Nova Mesh 3 WiFi System.

Both of these were running off the back of a Ubiquity Wired Only Router

Worlds better. I still get kicked off, but, only once every few days.