Controller miscalculates run time

I’m curious as to what is meant by continuous. Does that mean that the laser should not be continuously on for more than 5 hours, or that jobs should not exceed five hours? If it is continuously on, how long do the off cycles need to be to protect the laser? I’ve already exceeded 5 hours on a laser job with no observed adverse effects, but the laser was cycling on and off throughout the job.

And back to the original topic, the attached .nc file had a Luban estimated time in excess of 24,000 hours, but in reality only takes a few minutes to finish.

hole_test_1.nc (84.9 KB)

@parachvte this is a topic for you, i guess? - How we get this more accurate?

I am curious about this too as making simple things in my very little experience takes quite a long time.

I’ve also not previously heard of the 5 hour laser limit, and I have done muuuuuch longer than 5 hours, like 20. Admittedly I now dont think the laser has much power, perhaps I’ve damaged the diode. That does seem a bit daft though, because it is generally heat that damages electronics, and 3-4 hours is EASILY enough time for the laser module to reach steady state temperatures, at which point heat in is being balanced by heat out, courtesy of the BIG heatsink and the fan. So, why is 5 hours the limit? Is it because the diodes have a finite and modest life and by telling people not to use the laser for more than 5 hours at a go the folks at Snapmaker can make the diodes last a bit longer.

Please understand I’m not trying to bash the makers - everything has a finite life. Even me, thank God.

I’m considering buying another laser module and I might accidentally buy a more powerful one, admittedly I’d have to investigate additional electrical loads - I may have to use the original power line as a control signal and fit an IGBT/MOSFET amplifer with a beefier supply… Hmmmmmm, shit gets real when I have these ideas… And they might have to wait until the warranty is out.

Regarding the fire, the explosion, and the warranty… in my defence I was left unattended.

Ed.

I don´t know why there stands <5hours on the support page.- I have engraved easily 40hours + and there is no “wear” of the laser diode. Never thought about it :wink:

I’ve done 20+ multiple times.
If there’s a limit or a cool down there should be a warning or protection built into either Luban or SM.
I’m not too worried about it. It’s under warranty for another 6 months. If I have to replace the head at some point after that, so be it. It’s an expendable like hot ends and bits.
-S

Would an external laser module which is brought in via a fibre be an option? Less weight on the controller, easier to cool because external

I like your thinking @Streupfeffer, quick search for pricing doesn’t seem to make that a cheap option. This page[1] shows the cheapest available for $990 for 1600 mW, 445 nm.

[1] https://optlasers.com/fiber-modules/#