CNC - Drilling of holes in multiplex - holes too small or not round

Hi friends,

I am experimenting with the CNC function of Snapmaker A350 and trying to drill some holes in different sizes into 12mm Multiplex. I want to use this function for further projects, where I have to drill a lot of holes, e.g. for dowels.

Here is my set-up:
Fusion 360, 4mm flat-end bit (turned out after my first try that it only has a diameter of 3,8mm)
I have tried drilling holes of 10,2mm and 5,2 mm (deliberately leaving more space to fit the dowels easily).

I used different strategies from Fusion360 and the results you can see on the picture below:

Bore → the result was supercrappy, the holes were not even round and had an error of ~ 1mm

Circular
→ results were better, but still holes had a diameter of 8,85 (in a second attempt 9,6mm), but not anywhere close to the 10,2mm

Here are the settings I had used:
Speed: 100m/min (for any direction)
Multiple Passes
Number of Stepovers: 4; Stepover 0,5mm
Multiple depth → maximum stepdown: 0,5mm

2D-Pocket
→ very similar results to circular
Speed 100m/min

(Left side Circular; Right side Bore, lower right side (not fully drilled 2D pocket).

Can anyone help me improve the drilling results?
Do you think it is possible to use normal “wood” drills to drill the holes using e.g. the drilling function in Fusion360?

Any further hints to improve the results?

Thank you very much,
H

I’ve had no problem creating holes in hardwood. I can’t see where plywood would make any difference. SM should have no problem doing what you’re trying to do.

Your feeds and speeds are pretty conservative. So that shouldn’t be the problem.
(FYI, I usually use 2D pocket for holes. Conventional milling (sideways compensation → right) not climb)

So it’s either a problem with your machine - are the brackets for the linear modules tight? Or is there play when you try to tilt or rotate the head or bed?
If they’re tight, what type of bit are you using? A bit meant for and designed for cnc? Is it straight and balanced? Sharp?

Can’t comment on using a drill bit. Haven’t had the need to. Theoretically it should work as long as you make sure it’s entered as a drill in tool type and make sure paths are only vertically plunging.

-S

Hi,

thank you for the reply and the hints.

Here is what I tried out:

a. different 4mm Bit

• 2D Pocket for 10,2mm hole
  • Circular for the 5,2mm hole (2D pocket did not create a toolpath)
    → the result was quite similar to the previous attempts. I changed the settings to conventional milling.
    Bottom line was that I had pretty much the same results as before and a still the holes were too small.

b. used a 6mm Bit with 2D pocket for the 10,2mm hole.
→ This worked out quite well, the final result was 10,1mm which is an acceptable error margin.

My take for the moment is:

• maybe the reason is the 4mm collect, as I got similar results with different bits (interestingly the first bit works pretty well on standard CNC work like cutting or creating larger pockets).
  • I need to get smaller bits that are a bit longer than the ones I have to test if I get good results for the 5,2mm holes with the 2D pocket approach.

If anyone has further hints I appreciate further suggestions.
Thank you & Cheers, H.

You don’t have your work origin set wrong so it’s starting out more aggressively (larger step-down) than it should?

Can you link to the bits you’re using? (or provide photos).

Are you just trying to use the collet that came with? Or did you get a set of different sizes?
-S

Sounds like a ‘stock to leave’ option of 0,5 in fusion360.