CNC carve directions

When doing a fine CNC 3-axis carve, luban creates horizontal (X axis) paths. Generally, this works well, however, when doing a job that has deep carves on a slight angle on the Y axis, it leads to banding lines on the Y axis, no matter how small the stepover (X axis looks great). Is there a way to get Luban to create a finishing pass which does Y axis paths, which would hopefully remove this banding (without creating banding on the X axis)?

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, let me know and Iā€™ll see if I can create a quick piece to show what I mean.

1 Like

As an extension, I have also done some 4-axis jobs which would be far better served by doing a Y-axis path (eg cutting a Hex shank). This may be beyond Luban but would be interesting if possible

Luban is barely functional as a CAM program. It works okay for reliefs.
If you want control over your toolpaths youā€™ll need to use a real CAM program like Fusion 360.

-S

I know! Itā€™s a relief that Iā€™m doing, and luban is quick/easy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m also having an ā€œinterestingā€ issue where the snapmaker tells me the Fusion code is invalid (havenā€™t delved into it yet, as I tend to be too busy at work to apply the time I would like at the moment).