CNC Bracing For Added Rigidity & Other Mods

Z-Axis Roller Brace

This roller brace design is something I have been working on for the last year as the Snapmaker 2.0 (SM) can develop a good deal of slop in its linear modules. Some may say “you just need to open up and tighten the internal rollers in your linear modules” but believe me when I say that is not entirely the issue… It is a pretty well known fact in the community forums that these machines have a number of shortcomings especially when it comes to the rigidity and constraints of motion in its linear modules while using the CNC functionality. Therefore I have created this mod which is very easy and cheap for anyone to implement! The goal of this specific mod is to remove the rotational slop of the X-Axis by bracing it at the connection points to both Z-Axis linear rails. This effectively reduces the “splaying out” of the tool when making CNC cuts which improves the tolerance of the end product and prolongs tool life. However if you are really serious about removing all slop from your SM you will want to add a top brace across the the two Z-Axis linear rails and another brace from the mid/top of the Z rails down to the baseplate but both of these braces are much less important than the design I have supplied here. Finally I would also recommend adding exterior linear guide rails to supplement the support of the build plate because it tends to rock back and forth and causes issues with both 3D printing and machining larger pieces that cover farther out to the front and back of the buildplate.

YouTube Build & Testing Video: Snapmaker 2.0 CNC Brace Mod - YouTube

6 Likes