Cable caused problem

Hi All

Sorry. I do not have a photo to show you, so I will explain with the rough diagram below. The way I cabled the Snapmaker for the X -Axis was the cable went around the back of the Z-Axis and into the controller. On two occasions over the last few months when I was printing a tall model the cable became caught on the bottom corner of the controller and retarded the vertical motion of the Z-Axis. I have since moved the cable. Possibly you could round the bottom corners of the controller so that cables cannot be caught on them.

Doug

@doug the best route for that cable when I first put the Snapmaker together was up the front, around the rear, between the space of the controller and the spool attachment and into the #2 port. This way when you have a tall model it will not get caught anywhere. See photo below.

1 Like

Thanks @kelvin8r

I have had moved the cable after the second incident; I had one incident at the start of using Snapmaker and forgot about it, then a month later I had the second event and moved the cable. Thought that I would report it though for future model design considerations and cable placements and to make sure none of the superstructure can impede movement.

Doug

2 Likes

Sounds like there needs to be some cable routing GUIDES to keep them in line. I was thinking about that the other day as I looked at the way the cables appear to just be loosely routed. When we worked on the Disney animatronic project one of my responsibilities was wire and hydraulic line routing. BTW, that Disney project was an amazingly fun one to work on. It was one of the first times that they went outside their own R&D division to get some engineering help.

2 Likes

Hi @Tone

I agree, some smart contour hugging cabling is required, reduce the bird-nest layout.

I know that it is functional and that’s the way most projects start. Then you get a glass (or two) of wine, sit back and stare at your work and redevelop it.

So there is challenge for @whimsycwd and co… have a few glasses of wine and design a smarter/neater cabling layout for Snapmaker 2 … make sure it is good Australian wine, you will get better results hahaha

Doug

2 Likes