Best way to mount a camera

Anybody got some experience with a cam for Snapmaker 2?

On biggest Snapmaker 2 with enclosure… where would be the best place to mount a camera for time-lapse or supervision?

I’m thinking that possibly on the build plate itself would be a good place for time lapse since then the model would always be in the middle. But I am afraid of interfering with the movement of the table… wouldn’t it?

Another place might be in one of the top front corners. What do you think?

Camera placement depends on what you care about. Since there’s plenty to care about, there’s plenty of camera placements. Therefore, plan on more than one camera, immediately or over time.

If you want overall monitoring in a fixed position, I’d suggest the rear of the Z-axis linear rails. The controller is on one of them already. They’re about as close to the action as you can get without being within the work volume.

If you want close process monitoring, you want the camera on the tool head. There’s already a camera in the laser head, but I’m not aware of any way to get a live feed from it.

Would I have to worry about weight or momentum of the camera if I were to affix it on the tool head?

Somewhat a concern, but cameras are quite light these days. You’ll have more problems with an optical train that can focus close enough than you will with the mass of the camera. The clip-on macro lenses available for cell phones are a ready and cheap source of optics adequate for a quick hack and some experimentation.

I’m using an old iPhone on an old panavise base with an adapter/holder I printed. I have it placed just in front and to the right of the bed near where controller is normally mounted. (my controller is outside my enclosure)
I use it both for time lapse or remote monitoring (Haven’t figured out how to do both simultaneously. Would prefer a free option but haven’t had time and hasn’t been a priority)
I would like to build a mount that attaches to the bed. When doing time lapse the object moves and it would be better if the object was in a fixed place when doing 3D printing. Just haven’t gotten around to it.

-S

Hi sdj544, can you please give me more infos about your asembly with controler outside the enclosure?
Tougtht for myself sometimes to do it but found not a doable solution.

Just the hand controller is outside. You can use any usb-c extension.
My power supply is mounted to the bottom side of my work table.
If you’re talking about the controller brain with all the plugs, then I don’t think there’s anyway around tha being where it is.
-S

What a pitty. I suspectet you have the maincontroler outside. The cellphone is already out the exclousure.
But the cables are too short to get the “brain” outside. :thinking:

Hi,

First of all I placed a cam to see the progress of the printing. Is the printing going well?

I’m into ESP modules, so i mounted a ESP32cam. I printed a holder to get some distance and used a servo to control the cam left and right.
ESP32-CAM 160 degrees cam

But i’m not quite happy with it yet. I would also like to have an overview of the printing work. So that I can also make timelaps or a video to see how the object came about.

Don’t look at the mess on the photo’s :slight_smile: .

Stil making my printer and printercase setup better and better :slight_smile:

and here is a picture during operation.
Schermafbeelding 2021-02-07 145627

I upgraded my cell phone and no longer needed the Mophie windshield mount. So I mounted a Blink HD security module to it and mounted it inside the case with the suction mount. The power cable fits through the gap in the door, to a power strip below.

IMG_0865

1 Like

Here is a link to my (Snapmaker 2.0-specific) remix/design for mounting the famously popular Logitech c270 webcam into the A350’s enclosure. I’ve been very happy with this setup:

1 Like

I mounted a GoPro to the bed and included a USB light to illuminate the workpiece during nighttime printing. I’m happy with the results. The clamp was designed to fit away and under the printhead and rail to avoid interference. See photo.

Pete

2 Likes

Which goPro model is this? And are you able to view the feed remotely via wifi or Bluetooth?

Hi! It’s a Hero4. I have not tried to view the feed remotely. I didn’t even think of using it for that purpose! I have been using it for time-lapse video only. I bought a simple webcam to view remotely.

I like to see the Monitor as well to see - from far away for example- how far the project has come or if I need to turn off the machine (via smart Plug)