Bed leveling for CNC/Laser using software?

Is it possible to do a bed leveling for the CNC or Laser module using software like it does for the 3d printer module?

I have seen bed leveling mentioned vaguely regarding the laser in the forums, but no detail, and I can’t find it. My laser bed is a full 1mm in z differences between the front and the back, and causes issues with laser focus during big cuts.

The machine should be fully capable of auto, or manual bed leveling using offsets given that it does it for 3d printing, so wonder about the laser.

Is there currently a laser leveling option somewhere that I have just not found yet, or is it still a pending feature?

Thanks!

It’s common rule of thumb in the CNC world to mill the MDF board flat, as no wasteboard is ever flat so everyone just mills them flat with a surfacing bit.

As far as the laser goes, I’ve seen others say that it’s flatter if you print a special holder for the laser bed that goes on top of the heated bed.

1 Like

When i asked Snapmaker about using a milling bit to level the CNC bed i was told this will void any warranty on the machine and they were working on a way to level the bed. … that was last Fall … Still waiting. Thats why we haven’t bought the rotary module. If you can’t level the bed, how can you possibly use the module correctly when it’s not level.

@GSchneider that makes no sense for it to void the warranty, it’s common practice in CNC to mill the wasteboard flat. They aren’t going to do anything about ‘leveling’ the waste board, any work that goes toward CNC is going to be for the XL-CNC, they have pissed off so many people by blatantly, obviously, and intentionally not updating the road map as they knew exactly what the reaction would’ve been and they are going to continue just bringing other machines out instead of working on the issues with the current machines, guaranteed.

1 Like

Well, good news if you’re in the States, you’re now outside of the machine warranty so now you can mill the spoilboard (or a sacrificial board mounted on the snapmaker board) without worrying about a warranty being voided.

If you’re in the EU I guess you have a year left on your warranty.

Yea, honestly though, they also say you’ll void the warranty for opening up any of the modules and then they include the tools to do so in the provided toolbox. I think the idea they are trying to communicate is if you break the machine the warranty doesn’t cover user error, and that’s getting lost in translation.

Oh I know about milling the waste board … I provided details on what bits I could use and everything. The XL-CNC is gone from the road map for about 6 months now. I think they need to just admit the milling and provide the mill end they “recommend” to be used. Otherwise the CNC function of the 2.0 is about as good as the 1.0 BETA ONLY. Which in effect kills the Rotary Module.

CNC manufacturers usually do not provide tooling recommendations. There are tooling companies who would be consulted about the applicability of any given tool to a process.

Snapmaker is trying to maneuver themselves as the sole provider of anything and everything related to their machine. However they have neither the knowledge of manpower to effectively do so.

In my opinion whether they provide a recommendation or not is moot, as a CNC spoilboard surfacing bit is a standard tool:
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B071748JQN/

I may have found a simple and definitive solution to CNC bed leveling, not sure if it applies to everyone. Fixed the problem that my CNC bed was 2mm “lower” on the left than on the right. (After double-checking correct SM A350T assembly etc.)

The focus in this discussion (and other threads) has been the bed itself, but what about the left-right leveling of the X-axis linear module ? It’s the relative alignment between the X linear module and the CNC bed that matters. The X-axis linear module could be non-level due to play in its bolt attachments to the 2 Y-axis verticals and/or the precise relative positioning up/down of the 2 Y Linear Modules.

So I tried…

1. remove the tool head
  2. slightly loosen the X-axis module mounting bolts at both ends
  3. place an absolutely straight spacer on the CNC bed (to prevent the toolholder bracket from hitting the CNC bed)
  4. slowly but firmly lower X linear module down onto the spacer
  5. re-tighten the X-axis linear module mounting bolts

Result: total cure. Can’t say how much the issue was any play in the X-axis linear module mounting bolts and/or precise positioning up/down of the 2 Y Linear Modules, but problem solved, without any extra work-around such as milling a sacrificial board or whatever.

1 Like

This is called “tramming”.
Lots of discussion on this.

-S

Thanks – very helpful – I am very much a newbie on all this (new A350T just a few weeks ago), so always delighted to get info from more experienced folks.

1 Like

Platform Rolling

When I was working with CNC to cut 0.6 mm from a 1 mm thick acrylic plate, he was troubled by the fact that the thickness cut out differed from place to place.
After measuring the difference in Z-axis height on PlatForm, he discovered that the height was different in all four corners. First, they were 1 mm different at each end of the X-axis, so we loosened the bolts attaching the X -Axis Sliders and adjusted the height.
Even so, the thickness was still different each time they were shaved.
Upon closer inspection of the Platorm, we discovered that it moved as shown in the video.
We created another roller like the one in the video and the problem was almost solved.
The platform is only supported in the middle on the Y-axis, and if the platform is large like the A350, the undulating movement would inevitably occur.
Video with almost no rolling

How do you get a 1/4" shank to fit into the 3.175 (1/8") collet?

You get a different collet size… It’s a standard er11 collet if I remember right. There was a post somewhere around here about it.