Hi all! I’ve been using VitasGuo’s Bambu Studio compatibility project for the U1 and it has been a huge quality of life improvement for me. With some help from GPT, I put together a fork with a few improvements I wanted and thought I would share it ![]()
The main one is automatic nozzle preheating. Instead of waiting until a color is finished to start heating the next nozzle, the bridge adds commands to start heating ahead of the swap. I’ve tested this on my U1 and it has made a big difference in the waiting between colors.
The preheating lead time is configurable too. It defaults to 30 seconds before the tool change, but you can adjust it in the bridge settings if your nozzles need more or less time.
There are also some filament mapping improvements:
-
The confirmation screen only shows filaments actually used in the print.
-
Your model can use filament slots like 2, 5, 8, and 9, and you can map those to any of the four toolheads.
-
You can now use 5+ filaments in a print: map multiple colors to the same toolhead to use the same loaded filament, or add a pause in the slicer to manually swap spools when a new color is needed.
-
Pauses added in the slicer are preserved so you can manually replace filament. There is a warning if more than four filaments are used without a pause.
Gcode conversion is also automatic when using Print or Upload, so you don’t have to manually export, convert, and upload the file.
A couple things to know: preheating currently works when starting through the bridge’s Print/Device confirmation screen. Files started from the printer touchscreen may still wait for heat. My five-color touchscreen test also failed after the fourth toolhead check, including when I tried native Snapmaker Orca gcode, so that is still unresolved.
Download and release notes:
Under Assets, download the Windows ZIP, extract it, and run install.bat as administrator with Bambu Studio closed and the printer idle. This revision has been tested on Windows.
VitasGuo’s original project and discussion:
All credit to VitasGuo for the original project! I’m new to the GitHub side of this, but the latest version installed successfully and is printing with preheating working on my machine. If you give it a try, please share how it goes and any issues you run into.