Artisan questions

I have ordered the Artisan and i am waiting for it. I am reading now trying to get as many information as possible meanwhile. So i already have a few questions i cannot find any answer:

1. Is it possible to use different diameters on nozzles on the DualPrintingModule ?
  2. Is it possible to upgrade the 10 Watt Laser to 20 Watt ?
  3. Can i use other slicer Software with the Artisan and are there drivers ect. available soon ?
  4. How about more then 4 axis setups for the Artisan, if i start building a diy projekt with 5 axis ? Is there a way to do that ?

Hi usurpine, Iā€™m here to provide some official answers:

1. Yes, you can install differently-sized hot ends onto the Dual Extrusion Module. We donā€™t recommend changing the nozzle instead of changing the whole hot end, because it might lead to damage to the hot end and cause problems with the calibration.
  2. Up to now, we havenā€™t planned the 20W Laser Module yet.
  3. For 3D printing, we might provide Cura profiles later (but not sure when). As for other slicers, you might be able to find some profiles made by other users in the forum after theyā€™ve received their Artisan.
  4. Thereā€™s not much official news and progress about the 5-axis Module.

Since it seems there are many issues with Luban, and firmware wont be 100% operationnal (I mean full of bugs) for 1rst delivered customers, it would be nice if you guys work asap on CURAā€™s profile, in order to give us a workaround waiting for LUBAN being fully usable.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful answer.
I am using different types of slicers like the prusa slicer or the simply3d Software, but havent done that for a long time, so i am not updated. But i have used that software for 3d printing very successfully in the past. And it supports Multimaterial printing, too.
But i cannot find any snapmaker artisan configuration, is that available and where do i find it ?
I can find the snapmaker A350 and A250 in the latest PrusaSlicer-2.5.0.
But to setup the Artisan by myself i need a lot of configuration information about this machine. I think someone for sure has already done that, but i cannot find the necessary files.
So if not anyone has done that because at this time the artisan has not been delivered can you help us with the necessary informations?
Imho the prusa software is very advanced and as long as it is free and available to everyone there is really no need to develope yet another slicer which is not near as that advanced.

For the cnc Modules i am using professional CAD Software like Solid Edge community edition with the Solid Edge CAM Pro, which is also free for everyone. But here again i need all these detailed informations to do a setup and i am pretty much lost because i cannot find all these necessary detailed informations, at least for now. But as i said, as long as i havent got the machine delivered from you i would like to prepare myself and at least be able to run simulations.

And for the engraving and laser module i think i want use lightburn and here same problem, no information available yet.

1 Like

Got it. Iā€™ll pass this message to our team :wink:

Could you please give us a list of configuration imformation about Artisan you want to know?

Easiest way is to go to https://www.prusa3d.com/page/prusaslicer_424/, install that slicer software (its free) and then run the configuration assistant which is asking for all necessary information to build up a new configuration. The older versions of snapmaker Modells are already implemented.
And it would be perfect to add the new Artisan to this to make it really easy for all Artisan Users.

2 Likes

Once you have installed this PrusaSlicer-2.5.0 or newer you can start making your own first preset of the Artisan or just load another preset eg. the Snapmaker A350 and then goto Window - Compare Presets. You can now compare the settings for the new Artisan against well made settings for the older i3 MK3 printer.
Here you get a list of all presets and you might understand, why i dont want to list that all manually because its quite complex to find the right presets for the printer, especiall when you go under advanced or expert mode.
There are so many ways to do it wrong and it probably would take many hours to really find out the right settings for the Artisan.

2 Likes

Very true on the firmware issues. Have had my Artisan about a month now. The first 3 3d prints ā€¦2 single print head and one dual print head with breakaway material in one all worked fine

Attempted a 4 axis CNC ā€¦could not get it calibrated.

Reinstalled 3d print headā€¦after 10 factory resets and manyā€¦ many attempts to recalibrate I have been completely unable to use the artisan at all. No help from support beyond 4 days between responses and each asking for more infoā€¦so unusable for the last 3 weeks.

FW v 2.4.2ā€¦but last 2 FW versions had sam issues.

Canā€™t manually calibrate eitherā€¦the calibration menu page is blank until after a successful auto calibrationā€¦auto calibration is failingā€¦z axis proximity sensor strikes print bed hardā€¦never calibrates. If I make it to xy calibration the Left head scrapes the print bed ant R print head is about 3 cm above the print bed. X calibration will saveā€¦Y wonā€™t save at all so calibration never completes.

USB (either the port or the thumb drive) stopped working after FW 2.4.2 installedā€¦not certain a connection exists.

No way to escape starting at auto calibration without disconnecting print head before powering onā€¦no way to try any trouble shooting without factory reset firstā€¦

So right now the Artisan is very frustrating. And right now I would not recommend it.

1 Like

Hay Adshijw,
Just wanted to make sure you have printed and installed the ā€œextruder wedgesā€. Did you?
I head some other people were able to fix their calibration issues after installing itā€¦

Hi @usurpine, Iā€™m using Fusion 360 for CNC projects for the Artisan and now that I have the Rotary Module I canā€™t use the Fusion (Free version) for the 4th axis CAM. I read your post -

For the cnc Modules i am using professional CAD Software like Solid Edge community edition with the Solid Edge CAM Pro, which is also free for everyoneā€¦

so Iā€™m downloading Solid Edge. Can you share how did set it up for the Artisan and the Rotary module? Is there built in settings for this machines?
Best regards

There is no setup in Solid Edge for the Artisan. Solid Edge is a professional CAD System to make models and Drawings of these models. Its similar to Solidworks, Catia, NX or any other mostly mechanical CAD-System. But you can import this CAD Data into other programs like FreeCAM or other CAM Software to make GCode for the artisan. You can eg. export a drawing of something 2dimensional with DXF and then import it into luban to cut it with laser or you can export a 3d model with stl and then print with with luban or any other slicer.
Solid Edge is just a very good and professional way to model or even simulate something in 3d. There is no direct connection in any way possible with the Artisan or the Artisan Rotary module.

1 Like

This is an example how i used Solid Edge to modify the Artisan Laser Module with a part for my DIY air-assist. I build a model in Solid Edge in 3d, then export the file with stl and then printed it. snapmaker artisan air assist by Usurpine_Susanti - Thingiverse

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind reply. Iā€™ll follow your steps.

If you have questions to solid edge, i can probably help, i am using Solid Edge for many years.

1 Like

Thanks. I just installed Solid Edge (on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4) and IĀ“m trying to find good youtube start info. Any advice?
Do I have to install any ā€œadd-onsā€ to create 3D objects to be 3D printed, CNCā€™d ?
Thanks for your help.

There are many youtube tutorials to find on youtube, but i think best is to use the tutorials from siemens which are implemented in Solid Edge, just press the ? button or press F1 inside while you are using SE.

. Here you see lots of beginner tutorials in your language, starting from making a part, followed by making an assembly, a drawing and last not least a simulation. There are no addons needed although there is a section for ā€œ3d printingā€ which is quite new. But basically you dont really need that. Once you have build your first part, just save as and then choose stl format and you have what you want to push it into your slicer. You can also import any geometry from other cad-systems via Step or Parasolid format or any other given formats. You can even import stl files but working with imported stl files is not really easy, but at least you can cut away something or make a hole into it. There are many tutorials you can do and there are even more hidden inside the data structure for more advanced stuff. And there is on every button the online manual available with brief instructions how to use this command. And once you are familiar with solid edge you can ask questions on foren which also will give professional help, like www.cad.de

1 Like

one thing i want mention: just look what synchronous modeling has to offer but dont seriously use it. Stick on modelling in sequentiel mode only. Even mostly all Siemens tutorials will force you to use the synchronous mode. You will thank me later for this advise.

1 Like