40W Laser Module and "Start on Luban"

I am on latest firmware (1.18.1) and latest Luban (4.10.1) - if not, tell me!

I normally always use Start on Luban both for 3D print and Laser works, but that option is greyed out, when using the 40W Laser Module. This worked fine (including having a camera) on both the 1.6W and 10W module.

What gives?

While I do not have a 40W to confirm, I can only speculate the fact that the 20/40W modules do not have any form of auto-focus. So they force you to send the project to the machine to use the focusing arm. The 1.6W and 10W you could input the material thickness, and thus focus so it would automatically move into position.

Considering the 20/40W modules have a fixed focus (denoted by the focus arm), I don’t know why they didn’t implement inputting the material thickness similar to the 1.6W. It would simply need the machine knowing the bed surface height and the focal length like the 1.6W.

1 Like

glad to see this post. I just posted about the same problem plus some others while upgrading to the 20W laser. I was expecting to move the laser arround and then set the focus similiarly as with manual. Now going through all posts with 20w40w to see what else I can learn.