10W Laser Max Distance

Hi,
I’ve been trying to etch on anodized aluminum. My part has an elevation in the center of the part that won’t allow me to lower the laser head close enough to etch on the part, i.e., I need to use 18mm distance from the anodized surface. Note, my part requires etching in a circular direction around the elevation (think of a volcano and I’m etching around the base). My questions are:

1. Is there a max distance required to perform this etch (Note, I’ve reduced the working speed to 50mm/s without success.
  2. Is there another software that generates gcode where I can avoid the horizontal movement where there is not text?

Thanks for the help.

The laser has to be able to focus on the surface of your object, and the machine brings it into focus by adjusting the distance from the workpiece. So “max distance” doesn’t really apply—there is only one valid distance.

Unless Lightburn can handle this (doubtful, but worth checking with someone who uses it), I think your only real options here are to either hand-edit the gcode to perform a sort of extreme z-hop whenever the head wants to move through the elevated area, or set up to do this in sections with the area you’re etching at any given time between the elevated area and the zero point.

1 Like

Thank you for your input on this. I really appreciate it.

I think I came up with a possible solution for this. I’ve had a look at the actual laser head. And, I “think” the protrusion is hollow. I believe the protrusion is used only for laser distance focusing purposes. The distance it protrudes is exactly 16.33mm. And, if I were to remove the protrusion and make a replacement calibration cube (16.33mm) I could use that additional vertical distance to not have to alter the GCode path. The 16mm actually measures exactly the distance I would need to alter the tool path.

So, my question, does anyone here know whether my assumption on the protrusion is correct? I know I’ll probably void my warranty. But, this will be a no-brainer if it will work as anticipated.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Ignore my comment, see @Skreelink 's below. The original text is preserved for future reference

I do not have the 10W laser, however, the “protrusion” on the 1.6W laser is just a shroud for safety and can be removed if needed for focusing, this may also be the case for the 10W. On the 1.6W it simply unscrews and I do not believe that voids the warranty.

It’s hard to really come up with an answer without knowing exactly what your project is. Is it a complete circle? Is it something on two sides? All we know is the physical object. However, I will say, on the 10W you cannot remove the shroud like you can on the 1.6W. If your object isn’t too horrible, maybe my non-planar laser guide could help.

Since it’s technically doing CNC paths, it’ll move the laser up and down where it needs to be. If your object is simple, model it up, then add what you want to engrave to it as a cut path in fusion? If I knew what you were actually trying, I could help more.

Thanks for all your replies.
Below is the part profile. The etching will be on the the entire circular base of the part. Note: Anodized Aluminum.

There are a number of challenges here, both the 10% angled base (where the etching will be done). And, the 90deg vertical rise (approx 11mm). While the Non-Planar project will help with the 10% slope, I don’t think it will be useful for the 11mm rise/wall issue.

I realize that the shroud is not removable, it makes it unusable for this project. So, if it only used for laser calibration purposes, I’m having am cube dimensioned for use as a shroud replacement.

Please let me know your thoughts.

@Skreelink do you know if it’s possible to adjust the focus of the 10W like you can with the 1.6W? I’m guessing not since it has a different lense design, but I figured it was worth checking.

Reference:

With the power of the 10w it might still work fine being out of focus. With the 1600 when you need every bit of power it’s giving out then focus becomes critical.
Do you have a piece you can run some tests on?
-S

Hi,
I’ve tried a number of test passes on a flat anodized surface at the nominal height that would be necessary to avoid the shroud. With Power set to 100% I varied the laser residence time on the part.

• At the standard conditions (14mm from surface) – No engraving is apparent

• At 25mm/s engraving retains “some” of the anodizing coloring remained on the etched part and not very sharp.

Note, that I’ve tried various configuration settings and it comes nowhere close to being as clear and quick as when it’s able to drop down to the normal distance from the part.

I think, unless I hear differently from anyone here, My 10W laser is getting a trim.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I don’t have the SM 10w (I do have another maker’s).
Just be aware that the 10w gets its power from dual lasers where the 1600 only uses a single one. So not sure how that affects the mechanics of focus and alignment of the 10w. It may be more critical that the focus on the 10w is set at a certain distance. The 1600 they definitely didn’t bother with that from the factory and that’s why everyone’s unit has a different focus length.
So definitely proceed with caution.
-S