The first results

Currently I’m working on some cool inlay work with small magnets.
These magnets (Ø10x2mm) don’t cost more than 20 cents a piece - I bougt 100 pcs for about 18 Euros:

I’m making some presents for christmas and my coleagues at work:

Designs I allready made with magnets inside: stars, hearts, moon shaped objects, company logos,…
Simple as hell and quickly printed.
I always make some copies to have time for laying in the magnetic discs (not possible with Snapmaker3D jet) but if the print is not too small you have enough time - just before the ceiling of the hole is printed.

The hole for the magnet is just 0,1 mm in diameter bigger than the magnet itself so you can “snap in” the magnets. With 0,2 mm air they are a little bit loose and can snap to the fan underneath the printing head (I have a solution for this too but with 0,1mm everything works fine).

4 Likes

My 2¢…

ALL useful designs should be gathered together into a showcase area…

Just because it does not seem worth much to you, does not mean it has little worth to a newbie like me…

I DO know a consistent drag on the line feed directly effects print quality…

The finer the detail, the more it matters…

william…

4 Likes

Thanks a lot! I will make some new prints of the spool holder with a new PLA/aluminum filament when I have the time for it and maybe move it to that section - maybe my own showcase section :wink:

2 Likes

Are you on thingiverse or any similar sharing site by chance?

If you make enuff good things, no reason not to show off…

There should be an area for SnapMaker improvements, and another for “just cool”…

Tips and cautions along with any artwork will improve the experience for others…

Especially newbies like myself… :slight_smile:

william…

2 Likes

No I’m not at the moment. These are my own ideas and drawn by myself but if you are interested in any model - you just have to ask. Also I’m doing some special parts my friends came up with - they are giving me a sketch or a sample and I’m trying to make/reproduce them - I love this “work”!!!
I have no problems with sharing.

At this stage I’m still trying to improve my skills on the printer itself. So much more ideas are waiting in my brain to grow to life.

1 Like

How much do you know about scanning…?

Via pix, camera, copier, and/or laser…?

Scanning is an area I am in much need…

Camera mated with Laser will be the direction I’m going for my first new SnapMaker module…

I have to gather software coding/libraries for the imaging, boundaries, outlines, and measurements for a stand alone scanner module design…

william…

I do copies with my caliper. I don’t need to print objects that can’t be drawn in CAD.

bah, u no fun…

i WANT to get the real world into CAD…

like an old giant jar, which needs a lid…

60+ years old, weird threads, my ol star-trek-snapmaker scanner should just pop those dimensions into cad, and allow me to “add” outer shell and print…

william…

This should get you started:
https://pinshape.com/blog/the-11-best-3d-scanners-on-the-market/

You should be able to pick up a kinect for under $35. No reason to wait for your snapmaker to start scanning.

Ummm $35…? $95…?

Point taken… Perhaps my first SnapMaker add-on module…

william…

$32.99 at the moment of posting this. I guess there also apps that let you use your phone as a scanner too… news to me.

1 Like

major concern with scanners is receivable resolution…

1mm must equal 1mm across entire span…

most scanners do not provide accurate resolution across entire span, or even give an even scan field witch would allow scans per block edges to be accurately “knitted” together…

most accurate 3D scanners require the scanned object to be rotated, or the scanner itself to be moved past the scanned object to have any form of parallax elimination…

this involves deep involvement of the platform’s software (ie: SnapMaker), to receive the scanner output and then calculate the final output to some other (3D CAD) software…

hardware side, no problem, software, take me forever…

i wanna use a scanner in MY lifetime…

might be easier for me to just purchase a stand alone scanner…

william…

I am having no luck with the Snapmaker 3D print head so far. I haven’t been able to get a single print completed since I assembled mine.

I’ve been trying to print out the SnapBox for a few days now. Initially i tried printing whilst connected via USB.

First print via USB: got the dreaded PLA blob and the print stopped mid print. Cleaned it all up, luckily without damaging the thermistor or the other wires.

Second print via USB: print stopped mid print, this time with no tell tale signs as to why it stopped.

I thought that maybe the connection via USB was being interrupted by the PC going to sleep or something. Checked sleep options on the PC and they were all off, so not a fault of the PC settings.

Third print via micro SD: Exported the file via Snapmaker3D V1.4.3 and inserted the micro SD card into the Snapmaker. Started the print, all was looking good till i connected a USB flash drive to my PC and the printer reset itself.

This shouldn’t have happened but i thought i’d try again, this time disconnecting completely from the PC.

Fourth print via micro SD: used the same file that was already on the micro SD card and sat and watched the printer for almost two hours. So far, so good. Went downstairs for lunch, came back up after i’d finished and hey presto, another mid print failure! The touch screen had become unresponsive so i was forced to do a hard reset by powering down the printer.

Fifth print via micro SD: created a new gcode file (same stl) and copied over to the micro SD. This time i was determined to see the failure happen. Sat and watched the print for almost two and a half hours! all of a sudden i hear a different noise and notice that the printer was not printing where it was supposed to. it had shifted layers. I decided to abort the print as I was not happy about the layer shifting. Upon inspecting the other failed prints i noticed that all, bar one, had layer shifting.

Sixth print via micro SD: used the same gcode file as the previous print and set it to start. It was around 12am when i started this print so I went to sleep. Woke up this morning to find it had stopped mid print yet again! Layer shifting visible and yet again an unresponsive touch screen. Print stopped mid print at 3%!

I’ve now powered off the printer and decided it was time to create this post. I appreciate that it is a beta model that I have, but surely I should be able to get a print completed on this?

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated!

I did try to create a new topic, but it seems as though i have no permissions to do so

It seems that you are still connected via USB when printing from SD card.

Suggestions from my side:

• Level the bed again (2 or 3 times around the corners)
  • Clean the bed with a wet cloth
  • Try a smaller les complicated object first
  • Set to medium quality settings for first try (layer height approx. 0,15 mm works best for me for PLA and PET)
  • create a brim to your print (use raft if nothing else works or only a small area touching the build plate)
  • Don’t connect via USB (no physical connection!) as I noted some problems with the Snapmaker software when printing via SD card and keep connected with the USB cable but I can’t reproduce the error (and I don’t want to lose time untill Christmas because I have to finish some presents for my family, friends and coleagues)
  • The first layer is most important for a succesfull print job so it should be 100% good (no lifts, no holes but no problem if it is a little bit stringy)
  • If the print fails again try custom settings and reduce the printing speed

Don’t lose your patience - it took me a few days to successfully print my first object (as a 3D printing newbie I was and still am). Now I know much more than a few weeks ago how to handle the settings for different kinds of models.

2 Likes

@rojaljelly

• Leveled the bed several times
  • The bed is clean, the print is not lifting from the bed.
  • I tried printing a smaller object via the snapmaker software and this time I had major layer shifts. Tried this print twice, both with the same problem. So then i used Cura. Sliced the STL and saved it to the micro SD card. Set the print to start and let it do its thing. This time i managed to get much further than when I used the snapmaker3D software, thus pointing to a possible issue with the proprietary software.
  • Tried multiple settings
  • Tried using a Brim, as I mentioned above, the issue is not with the print lifting
  • As mentioned in my post, after the third attempt i disconnected from the PC completely.
  • Not a first layer issue
  • tried custom settings already. Will attempt a much slower speed.

I wouldn’t call myself a 3D printing newbie as I have 2 printers already.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience we bring. Please follow these steps to troubleshoot:

1. Try another model and see if it stops too.
  2. If it stops again, don’t power off the machine and check the light on the controller. Is the light blue or red?
  3. If you have another SD card, please try the other SD card and use the same G-code you used before. Check if the print stops again.

Some questions from us:

1. Is the G-code generated by Cura printed successfully? Or just stopped later than the G-code generated by Snapmaker3D?
  1. Could you please send us a photo indicating the layer shifting problem?

Look forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Rainie

Green transparent PET filament (you can read the snapmaker logo for more than 6 layers at 0,2 mm layer height!!!):
20171230_074435

I love this material. Only problem is to get the print started (high temperature and very slow speed required).

4 Likes

My first results: an empty print bed. No material comes out of the nozzle. I’ve switched one of the other nozzles in and still no joy.

And I can’t create topics on this forum.

It’s not good.

somebody thought this rule would solve excessive posts from new users…
(not my idea, and not a good idea IMHO)…
(there are other ways to beat on the cat… :wink:

post your troubles in one of the proper troubleshooting topics…