A350 Issues and Suggestions

1) Really needs to be able to heat the bed faster.  It takes 5 minutes to come up to temperature. (at least start the bed heating before doing the quick-calibration)
    2) I've had issues with the Full Calibration going wrong, and pressing HARD down on the bed.  There is no way to abort a calibration other than turning the power off.  This issue seems to fix itself after multiple power cycles and calibrations.
    3) Power Fail Recovery - Heat up the print head BEFORE moving it!  If the power was off for a while, the head will have cooled and is likely stuck to the piece.  (In my case, the initial head movement pulled the piece and magnetic bed up, and I couldn't get it repositioned exactly.)
    4) Out of Filament detection is a WONDERFUL feature - but you should probably turn the head off the head if it sits for more than 5 minutes.  Mine sat for 6 hours and I was worried that the bit of filament would be baked in.
    5) Every now and then I get a "machine disconnected" on the control panel, and I have to tell it to reconnect.  This just seems wrong, and indicates a bug.
    6) You don't need the "Move to Home" command when starting a print, as the SnapMaker will have just finished doing a quick calibration and the head is in a known location.
    7) Note that using the 5Ghz Wifi doesn't seem to work.  Luban couldn't find the Snapmaker even though it was visible on my network.  I had to switch to 2.4GHz Wifi to make it work.
    8) Provide some way for me to delete files from the SnapMaker.  When I'm trying multiple edits of a piece, I end up with a list of nearly identical file names.
    9) Provide some way to see the entire file name for files with long names.  The Cura naming convention puts the most useful bit of "piece version number" in the middle - which is the part that the SnapMaker chops out of long names.
    10) The Filament Reel support - REALLY needs a retractor of some type.  If you have a full reel, and it the printer calibrates then goes home - filament WILL jump off the side of the reel.
6 Likes

Re:

1. I believe it does set the temperatures to start warming up before it does anything else. It may not update the display often enough to see it.
  2. I’ve seen that too.
  3. I think you can delete files on the Touch Panel, Isn’t there an “Edit” button in the upper right?
  4. I was thinking it needs a guide for the filament to go through centered in between the tops of the two Z axes.

Yes to #10, had the problem yesterday.
Printed, going home and the filament jumped of.

I can confirm #5, #10

I had the problem with the jumping filament several times at the weekend. It just happens at the beginning (after auto leveling) and at the end for small prints.

I’m planing on constructing a auto rewind spool holder for the already existing arm. ( mix between Parametric Auto-Rewind Spool Holder and Snapmaker Filament Spoolholder

1. It appears to ignore all heating commands until after the calibration run. I have asked for the source as required by Marlin but have not received any further info to date.

I’m currently printing up the " Parametric Auto-Rewind Spool Holder" and plan to use it on the existing Spool stand on my A350.

This the reply from David Chen:

Really appreciate your feedback. Really helpful.

1. We plan to open source Snapmaker Luban in near future. Then you can join the development in a more interactive way.
  2. Besides, github issue list. We will also have discord channel for more instant communication. Please stay tuned, You can leave you discord account. or we can added you by using cougar@casadelgato.com.

Snapmaker Luban

1. Remember the program window Size and Position
    • OK, added to feature backlog
  2. When I connect to the SnapMaker - STAY CONNECTED! If I leave for a while, it disconnects. Also seems to disconnect during prints ALL the time.
    • Added to the buglist
  3. Once I’ve connected once, and told the SnapMaker to allow it - Allow me to connect from the same computer without requiring Authorization again! (in my case, the SnapMaker is downstairs, and computer is upstairs)
    • OK, added to feature backlog, but added another constriant that not other computer is connecting the machine. Only one computer can be remembered.
  4. Same as above with Transfering files via WiFi
    • OK
  5. When transfering files to the Snapmaker, give some feedback showing that SOMETHING is happening. Large files take a while, and it’s impossible to tell if you actually pressed the button.
  6. Provide some way to remove files from the list at the right in the Workspace Panel. (I"m loading GCode files from Cura)
  7. After parsing the GCode file - zoom to fit! I have to zoom out several levels before I can even find the model I just opened.
    • OK, Added to feature backlog
  8. Using “Upload” to open a file is non-standard and confusing. The program Opens a file, and we Upload it to the SnapMaker
    • OK

SnapMaker A350

1. Really needs to be able to heat the bed faster. It takes 5 minutes to come up to temperature. (at least start the bed heating before doing the quick-calibration)
    • Yes, we have noticed this. We will improve that by heating up bed during quick-calibration. The heatbed is big, so that it need more time to heat than Sanpmaker Orignial.
  2. I’ve had issues with the Full Calibration going wrong, and pressing HARD down on the bed. There is no way to abort a calibration other than turning the power off. This issue seems to fix itself after multiple power cycles and calibrations.
    • OK, We have received multiple report about this issue. We will exame it carefully, and release a patch to fix it.
  3. Power Fail Recovery - Heat up the print head BEFORE moving it! If the power was off for a while, the head will have cooled and is likely stuck to the piece. (In my case, the initial head movement pulled the piece and magnetic bed up, and I couldn’t get it repositioned exactly.)
    • OK, Normally, before power loss, the machine will use last power storage to move toolhead a little bit to avoid print head stucking to the workpiece.
  4. Out of Filament detection is a WONDERFUL feature - but you should probably turn the head off the head if it sits for more than 5 minutes. Mine sat for 6 hours and I was worried that the bit of filament would be baked in.
    • OK, Added to feature backlog.
  5. Every now and then I get a “machine disconnected” on the control panel, and I have to tell it to reconnect. This just seems wrong, and indicates a bug.
    • Yes, It’s a bug that we are hunting. tricky one. It happens rarely, and hard to reproduce.
  6. You don’t need the “Move to Home” command when starting a print, as the SnapMaker will have just finished doing a quick calibration and the head is in a known location.
    • We have noticed this. But IMO, this is a small optimization. And it’s tricky to added. Because it need context while we parsing gcode. G28 is designed to sync position. We decided to not bypass it, or it might have to check all the conditions relative. It’s err-prone.
  7. Note that using the 5Ghz Wifi doesn’t seem to work. Luban couldn’t find the Snapmaker even though it was visible on my network. I had to switch to 2.4GHz Wifi to make it work.
    • OK, we will double check this. In our office, we didn’t have problem.
  8. Provide some way for me to delete files from the SnapMaker. When I’m trying multiple edits of a piece, I end up with a list of nearly identical file names.
    • Click on the file, we can remove file, modify the file name directly in the screen.
  9. Provide some way to see the entire file name for files with long names. The Cura naming convention puts the most useful bit of “piece version number” in the middle - which is the part that the SnapMaker chops out of long names.
    • OK, we will check this.
  10. The Filament Reel support - REALLY needs a retractor of some type. If you have a full reel, and it the printer calibrates then goes home - filament WILL jump off the side of the reel.
    • Sorry, could you explain more about this. What is a

Bests,
David

3 Likes

I have all same of those 10 issues. Commenting to say connected to problems and solutions.

Is your backlog visible publicly? :smiley:

No is a fine answer; just curious.

1 Like

I have a serious issue which sporadically happens at the end of a print:

• Nozzle stops at its last position
  • Display shows disconnected, reconnect fails
  • Bed Temperature is running away

Especially the last one I think is serious.

Good to know that you already join forum, We haven’t had enough people to maintain a heathy discord channel. So that Let’s starting from discussing in forum. Hope you understand that. @CasaDelGato

Snapmaker Luban will be open source soon, so that we will utilize the github to manage bugfix and feature request from community. @kbaegis

Same to SnapmakerMarlin, It will be open source right after will fulfill backers. (For now, we will provide newest code .zip under requested, open a support ticket, and ask for firmware source code), we need to do more work to clean and fix issues before push it github) @DroneOn

3 Likes

@whimsycwd thanks for the response. Do you have a list of the outstanding bugs that you can share?

Send you some requests via forum. Looking forward to your reply.

We need to add the z calibration to all the tool head functions like the prusas are using. basically the z needs to move up to the full height and try to go past full z then the z is level.

A few things i noticed in the cnc which is the only thing i have noticed.
on the touch screen i cannot adjust spindle speed while working. and i cannot adjust the live z.
I do not get a preview of the file for the cnc.
i will have more to add to this in a few days or weeks

besides luban crashes on any file that is more detailed. or larger it is awful. i feel i cannot use luban at all
luban should have a way to save the file shortcuts so you can work on a file and reopen it at a later date.
i should be able to preview the file without the tool paths showing then click and show the tool paths.

a way to add different bits to the menu. allowing other file formats to be imported into luban and luban automatically converts the file to the correct format not just a jpg or svg

1 Like

The loss of wifi is my biggest issue. Only have been using the laser head and the loss of wifi is several times a job. I have many wifi signals in my house, thought it was getting confused so I created a unique one from my computer to the A350, this had no effect on curing the issue. I also figured I did not need the wifi, so I USB connected the A350 direct to the computer, this does solve the issues, but I lose the ability to screen capture the work bed (seems you need wifi for this option). The biggest problem and it is a safety issue, when A350 dumps the wifi and is printing, you can not pause or stop the device with out turning off the power box on the printer! All I am really asking for is the same functionality of the wifi connection to be possible with the usb connection, if I can photo the bed over usb (and other functions which maybe missing to which I am unaware of), I am fine with not having wifi.

It my be a problem with the WiFi autoconfig from your PC. (see here how to turn it off)

I mysewlf use the “Transfer via WiFi” method. Here you can get the pics from the printer, but it sends the hole Gcode at once to the printer and you can pause/stop it at the touchscreen.

For the rewind problem at the beginning I made my own rewind spool holder, because my spools have a huge diameter range (50-85mm). Everything is printed in PLA. I’m still working on improving the spring (at the moment it turns back about 1,5 rotations)

1 Like

Ha! I just posted my similar item on Thingiverse.

3 Likes

How did this work out? Do you have a link to the retractor you are referencing? (Edit: I see that you posted the link, thanks!)