Wood powder accumulates inside a 10W laser

After previous use of MDF and plywood cut and engraved with a 10w laser, the inside of the machine was cleaned as it was quite dirty.

Since then, I have used 6 MDF boards and about 15 hours of laser cutting and engraving, resulting in another large accumulation.

I would like to ask anyone who uses a 10w laser.

Do you get the same buildup as pictured on non-MDF boards?

Also, is there any way to mediate this phenomenon?

The only way I can see ahead is either ignition or failure in the near future.

What are your 10w lasers like?

Hello!

i have the same problem with my 40 Watt Laser. Maybe this can help you, im still testing it.

Greetings from Austria

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the very good countermeasure plan.

The measures are as follows.
Model the top panel of the 10W laser with a 3D printer and provide external suction from outside the enclosure.

Create a bracket with a 3D printer to attach a blower fan on the full side of the 10W laser and force exhaust.

Drill a 40mm hole in the enclosure with a hole saw and install a 50mm x 50mm 24V fan to increase the amount of external intake air to the top of the 10W laser.

We decided to modify the enclosure for the idea that it should not suck in wood dust that was convected inside the enclosure in the first place.

I suggest using an external exhaust fan. At least 70 cfm. The stock fan does not cut the mustard.
I exhaust my enclosure to the outside of the building.
Next, use additional foam on all the door panels to seal the air flow from anywhere except the touch screen hole is at. This will help to reduce the dust from being so bad. You will still need to blow the intake out of the laser module. It’s part of the standard upkeep.
I run both the 10 and 40 watt laser.
Keep your exhaust blown out also. Keep the air flowing in your enclosure to the exhaust. That and adding air assist (10 watt laser) have been the biggest game changers I have done to improve laser cutting/engraving.

Hello. - Hello.
Thanks for the reply.

Do I need to use a 70x70 24v fan to maintain airflow?

I will verify this with a 50x50 24v fan.

I have finished the design in Fusion360 but have not been able to mold it due to work, so I will report back when I have the results from the modification.

I removed my original fan completely and went to an 3” inline fan outside of the enclosure. I use surge protector with switched circuits to control the fan, power to Snapmaker, and air pump for the the assist on the 10 watt laser. There is an attachment you can make for the air assist in Thingyverse.
I can take pictures if you would like.

If you can get a higher cfm fan in the 3”” diameter do it 70 cfm is on the edge of enough.
4””
Fan would be better then neck down to 3” at the enclosure to use the OEM collar.

Hi, I would kindly ask for the pictures.

Cheers

3”Inline exhaust fan

3”Inline exhaust fan

10 watt laser with 3d printed air assists fixture to fit over the laser collar

10 watt with air assist fixture

Surge protector with switched circuits for Snapmaker, fan control, air pump for air assist.

I use the same external exhaust fan.
I bought it 2 years ago on AliExpress for 3000 Japanese yen.
About $20?

It exhausts quite a bit and is the most stable.
However, there is a possibility of ignition if you don’t clean it regularly.

It is very difficult if you forget to maintain it.

I made a part to introduce outside air for 10w laser.
I haven’t had time to finish it yet, but I’ll report back.

1 Like

I agree with the cleaning and maintenance of the fan. I actually replaced mine after about a year of heavy usage. It’s all just part of the process to maintain quality laser work.

Thank you for the advice. By using external air intake, the 10W laser can now be maintained in a clean state. Even with a 30mm pipe, combining it with the blower fan ensures sufficient heat dissipation and exhaust clearance.

For those using a 10W laser or similar, please make sure to perform maintenance regularly to prevent breakdowns.

1 Like

Doesn’t that just suck debris into and onto the laser lens? I think it would be better to blow air down and thru the module.

Although I have to say, I’ve been using the 10W for 2+ years now and have no buildup inside when I took it apart the other day. Cutting a mix of wood, leather, paper/card stock and acrylic.

The intake side of the 10W laser module is an external air intake with a hole drilled in the enclosure and an air filter attached. :frowning:

Is it just sucking in debris…

You’ve been using it for 2 years without any issues, but that doesn’t necessarily mean others won’t have the same problem.

For those working with materials like MDF using the enclosure, there tends to be significant buildup (as shown in the initial posted photo).

I have another setup with a 10W laser cutting “something” every other day, producing items for sale, and there is no accumulation there.

I’d be more inclined to put a vacuum nozzle external on the module. Extracting fumes, debris right off the cutting surface vs pulling them thru the module. But hey whatever works for you.

Hello snapUser,

It appears that there might be a misunderstanding on your part.

The top of the 10W laser is sending air from outside the enclosure. Air flows from the top to the bottom of the 10W laser. Some of it is expelled to the outside through the fan on the left side of the electronic board of the 10W laser.

By directing airflow from top to bottom towards the laser processing area, it is possible to prevent discoloration due to laser burning.

Creating a system to flow air into the cylinder below the laser output is simpler than using an air pump. No air pump is necessary.

Increasing the airflow from outside the enclosure using a blower fan further enhances the effectiveness.

Why there are elements to intake dust or debris from outside the enclosure is a question to consider…

1 Like

I knew I recalled someone having their exhaust mounted at the top, and someone that complained about buildup inside their laser, and to no one’s surprise it’s the same person. I can almost guarantee that’s a huge part of your issue. You’re pulling up fumes, etc and the laser is pulling them back in. Like I said before, I don’t have the buildup issue inside my laser and and i left my exhaust in the lower right. You seem like the type to instantly dismiss any critique based in your previous reply. So I’ll just leave it a that.