Traffolyte lable on new 10W Laser

Hi all just looking for any assistance for starting setpoints when making a traffolyte lable on new 10W Laser. I haven’t made one yet and was hoping for a few tip prior to starting
thanks

I can’t help with settings - I had to look up what Traffolyte even was (3 color layered Phenolic) - but I am very interested in how it works out!

I guess I’d just set up a test panel with some different speeds and power levels in different lines of text as a sacrificial, starting fast/lower power and going slower/higher power so you can abort if you clearly start going thru.

The one piece of advice I can offer, having purchased laser engraved and cut 2-layer stuff from Ponoko before (acrylic in their case), is that those “magic eraser” type sheets work great for clearing the burn/smoke staining off of white. (I did engraved white-over-black for a temperature sensor cover for my HAL-9000 themed PC build, and upon receipt, after peeling off the protective paper layer, it looked like it had been in a smoker’s home for a decade, in the bottom of the ashtray…but I finally got it clean.

Near bottom of picture - sorry for out of focus:

Traditionally multilayer material was mechanically cut. If you go that direction, you’ll want to base your design on stroke fonts instead of outline fonts.

Thanks guys I will be running a few trials over the weekend
And will let you know how I went

Worked well thanks

Nice! Care to share your settings and material source? I see what looks like “20” written on one of them.

(Really dumb question I see that fox-head thing around a lot but don’t know the meaning. Does it have some particular internet ‘meme’ association?)

Hi rtrski I will send through some settings on the weekend
The fox is a logo for motorcross brand

HI, i also want to use traffolyte (its nbow a PVC as traffolyte got banned years ago). with lettering lubun cuts arround the edge i just want it to make one pass and i will decide letter thickness by selecting cutting tip. how have you found a way to make it work?

Do not laser PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride), as lasering PVC releases hydrogen chloride gas, which turns into hydrochloric acid when it contacts moisture in the air, which can destroy the machine via corrosion. Also it will cause irritation to the skin, lungs, and eyes, or in high quantities, chemical burns and other damage. So as a general rule, do not laser ANYTHING containing PVC/Vinyl.

1 Like

thanks for that i did try it, but will now stick to CNC when on PVC