How come you’ve got a “Sidecar” branded build plate?
When is this going to get its own thread??
How come you’ve got a “Sidecar” branded build plate?
When is this going to get its own thread??
Interesting idea, but it would also be interesting to see a statistical analysis of actual print time saved and how often it is of any benefit at all. The primary benefit, so far as I can see, is economising on AMS units (being able to get away with 1 instead of 2), but that already means instead of 7 filaments to choose from, you’re down to 6.
I figured I’d make a custom build plate with the Sidecar name since it will be in all of the videos. I can make a new thread.
That’s neat, I just wondered how! PEI?
This is indeed the current key focus of the Snapmaker team. However, based on the large amount of user feedback and scenarios we’ve collected, we are also planning the configuration for the next-generation product.
If you start a new thread, let me know and I’ll pin it for 2 weeks!!
“Next-generation product”? That means leaving everyone backing the original U1 out in the cold, which definitely opens the door for a third-party solution.
I may not have been clear—it’s a minor optimization version. The details aren’t clear yet.
I’d be interested to know more when details are available, as if it’s something similar to Sidecar I don’t want to keep dumping dev time into this project TBH.
I’ll help keep an eye out for any plans regarding a filament box similar to this. However, from what I previously understood, they were optimizing details of the machine itself, such as assembly processes, door gaps, noise, etc. A filament box would be considered a separate new product. If there’s any news, I’ll share it with you.
Please don’t hold your breath on that, who knows when something might come along, and in the mean time we have nothing better. Get that thread up, so we can talk about making our own – even in its present state.
Yea I sort of misread the context of that comment in that it was replying to someone else saying they need to focus on getting the current stuff optimized, (I haven’t used forums in years lol), I thought they were actively working on an add-on MMU for the existing U1, but Simon explained it better in his reply.
There really isn’t a plan for a DIY version ATM, from my general read on the user base in the various groups, most U1 users want a plug and play iphone-like experience, not some erector-set tinkertoy setup that needs a bunch of printing/assembly/tuning. I’m also well over 400 hours of dev and 11,000+ lines of code, so I still want to make something back from it all, so the plan is still to sell complete ready to plug in assembled units. If’ there’s enough interest I might do a “print and assemble your own” kit with a BOM and just sell the firmware that runs it all, I suppose.
This forum software is a little weird, I make sure I quote what I’m replying to (but doing that on an iPad is a bit tricky, the iPad’s own pop-ups obscure the forum’s pop-ups).
Sounds reasonable, probably my bad thinking you would offer it as a community thing. If you had, you could have had help with it.
As to “plug and play”, I can’t go along with that. Anyone thinking they can just use an app to kick off a print and have it work every time is in cloud cuckoo land. They can carry on with their U1 (or whatever) in standard configuration (or better still, settle for a toy printer for printing toys).
Anyway, get that thread up so it can be discussed under its own title, you can show it off, and start selling! I think if you provide the STLs etc for a fee, you’ll get money in far quicker than producing a complete product, and eliminate the costs of producing it yourself. You could even let other people produce and sell the complete product for a percentage.
I’d be more interested in buying a print and assemble with a BOM and firmware than buying a complete kit. I’d still consider the complete kit though. You should definitely get something for all your hard work and would hopefully see some cool community tweaks as well if enough people are interested.
Edit: Idk about most people on this forum, but I get the feeling from most U1 people that they link the open-nature and ability to tinker with the U1 vs a final, locked-down printer.
Definitely for me, that was a factor in deciding to back it.
I guess ‘“serious” users/enthusiasts will be on this (or other) forum(s), the lightweight toy brigade are on Facebook.
Holy crap ladies and gents. I wasn’t expecting any kind of a response. man…o man I really want to see where this goes.
It seams there’s a motion system in the works now we need drying. Ultra sonic and infared… shake the moisture out. then burn it out. Just spit balling at this point but the gest is a full eco system for multi material management. And my hats off to the SideCar…thats bad ass…
On the forum, we welcome outstanding independent developers to post their projects (links are fine). If you ever have a U1-compatible kit, I’d be happy to pin it for a week!! By the way, while passion projects are admirable, independent developers still need to eat—reasonable returns are the sustainable path! Whether selling kits or accepting tips from users, both are great options!!
I would definitely consider selling hardware kit and printable files separately. This will make it easier for international shipping. This can be even activated as an addon with license key in U1, If the project works - I’m ready to pay for it.
My 3D Chameleon journey with SM_2.0 provides understanding of the labor that goes into something like this. This addon definitely should be rewarded.
Just highlighting in this thread that Sidecar has started his “official” thread here: Sidecar 16 color MMU for U1
I’ve pinned it for him for a while.