Reverse Engineering the Module Wiring

So I am in the process or reverse engineering some of the SnapMaker components so I can use a different controller with them. As I figure out how things are wired I am going to edit this post with that info.

3D Printing Module:
PIN1: VCC, Heater Socket Pin 1, Fan+
PIN2: Stepper Coil A+
PIN3: Heater Socket Pin 2
PIN4: Stepper Coil A-
PIN5: Thermistor Socket Pin 1
PIN6: Stepper Coil B-
PIN7: GND, Fan-, Thermistor Socket Pin 2
PIN8: Stepper Coil B+

Heated Build Plate:
PIN1: Heating Element +
PIN2: UNUSED
PIN3: Heating Element -
PIN4: UNUSED
PIN5: Thermistor +
PIN6: Thermistor -

The heating element registered as 12Ohms so 48W at 24V. The Thermistor gave a reading of 80kOhm in my 90 degree F garage.

Linear Module:
PIN1: Coil A +
PIN2: Coil A -
PIN3: Coil B +
PIN4: Limit Switch +
PIN5: Coil B -
PIN6: Limit Switch -

Please note I am not positive on the coil polarity.

6 Likes

Added the info for the heated bed and the linear modules.

As I don’t have a Snapmaker yet, I’m not entirely clear - is the RJ45 cabling on the Linear Modules embedded, or detatchable?

If they were the latter, a broken cable would mean you just replace that, not the whole component.

@SimonSpencer : https://store.snapmaker.com/product/rj45-cable

1 Like

Hello CthulhuLabs,

Thank you on sharing these pinouts. I can confirm that a nominal 81K is measurable between pins 7 and 5 of the RJ45 jack. And the absence of a sensible value, ie open circuit/short circuit between pins 7 & 5 would have the snapmaker controller halt proceedings.

On an other where recent post I sought information on having snapmaker act as a solder dispenser. Your information is of assistance. I soldered a 82K 1608 SMT resistor between pins 7 & 5 on a free RJ45 jack. This allowed my fitted dispenser to run a dry solder paste.

If you don’t mind I would suggest pin 1’s Vcc label be renamed to +24V. Vcc conventionally denotes a +5Vdc level.

regards,

Workalot

1 Like

Did a full Tear Down and Compared to actual servo motor wiring. This is from the wiring method used on the extruder motor and also how the servo’s are wired. I built TL Smoother’s and the Diodes need to be on the + side which is 2 & 3

For the Linear Module:
Slight Modification.
PIN1: Coil B-
PIN2: Coil B+
PIN3: Coil A+
PIN4: Limit Switch (no polarity needed)
PIN5: Coil A-
PIN6: Limit Switch (no polarity needed)

The laser module (200mW and 1600mW)
pin 1: +24V
pin 3: (inverse) Enable, PWM input
pin 5: 130 Ohm resistor to GND as module identification
pin 7: GND
pin 2,4,6,8: N.C.
I found on internet this schematic. The driver uses a XLSEMI XL3005E1 laser driver IC. Snapmaker uses almost the same circuit as proposed in the datasheet.
Measuring the PWM signal on pin 3: measure_pwm
PWM signal to pin 3, laser at 5%: 20%pwm
PWM signal to pin 3, laser at 60% 60%pwm
Signal levels: 0V to ~4V (laser on = 0V), t=1,6ms → 625 Hz
Connecting the laser module to a power supply and pin 3 to 0V on the work bench will also run the laser:
bench top
200mW module input current at 24V: 134 mA = 3,2 W, efficiency: 0,2/3,216=0,06, 6%
1600mW module input current at 24V: 460 mA = 11W, efficiency: 1,6/11=0,1455, 15%

1 Like

Hi
I also want to use the SM1 for other purpose and make a XY table to extend my 69W fiberlaser galvo system , I already have a controller that a pulse and direction outputs for two stepper units . What controller do you want to use .

Best Regards Lars

Great information! I am going to modify my 200mW laser module. Want to build a handheld laser welding tool to weld plastic parts together.

Hi CthulhuLabs

Did you succeed to adapt another controller (A
Uno preferable running GRBL 1.1f) to control the linear module .
If not GRBL controller may I ask what controller did you use
All best
Lars

Here’s what I came up with, got the linear module working this way with an Uno and a CNC shield. Too bad the shield only had 3 axes, which made it unsuitable for snapmaker. Will try some day with my bigtreetech to see how fare we get :slight_smile:

snapmaker wiring