Optimal Nozzle distance

Whats the optimal distance between nozzle and bed?

I’m looking for a automatic solution in combination with a ultrabed, but i need to know whats the perfect distance for sm2 between nozzle and bed.

That’s 0,1mm image

2 Likes

The “Z-offset” in the Snapmaker world is just moving the z a distance OFF from the programmed position. It only lasts during the current print.

You want the leveling offsets to be where the nozzle just touches the bed so the slicing software can do it’s thing correctly. The test card provide by Snapmaker is .1mm or .004" thick. If your doing calibration and you can feel just the tiniest bit of resistance then your probably a little high. They tell you to have enough resistance on the test card so it buckles when you push on it, that is trying to compensate for the thickness of the test card. Their Touch Screen interface lets you go down by .05mm or .002" thick. If you go down by that increment after feeling the tiniest bit of resistance is probably your best guess. NOTE: because of backlash if you go down too far, going back up will not go back the whole .05mm. You should go back up a couple of increments and then go back down.

You may be asking what is the optimal first layer thickness. That can vary depending on what you are trying to do. In general you want a little bit thicker first layer in order to compensate for any variation in the bed. (.3mm at least) I also select the option to extrude at 105% or 110% which helps to push the material down onto the bed, helps it stick.

3 Likes

My experience is that if you push too far while he doesn’t come back to the same position and you have to home again.

Yes, if you push down on the bed it may cause the Z steppers to loose steps and thus get out of sync. Your Z position will then be too high. Requiring homing to correct.

1 Like