MDF Cut by laser module?

Same here @Edwin any news for the new laser?

Cheers

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

The 8-watt laser module and the air purifier are being developed now. We have built the prototypes for more tests. In addition, the products need to pass many official certifications.

I will keep you all updated about this issue.

Best regards

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. But what about the question regarding the possibility of swapping the weaker laser with the new one before delivery?
(I do suspect that “pass many official certifications” means it would probably cause a lot of waiting though)

@pumich

The high power laser module is under review. I think this add-on will be released in the second half of the year but will not be delivered with the machine.

Best regards

I guess that with a 7-8 power laser, it will cut mdf about 3mm with ease?
Will it also have a fan that blows away the smoke (an air assist)?

1 Like

Thank you for reaching to us.

The 8 watt laser module can engrave stainless steel and 3 mm MDF board with easy. In addition, an air purifier will be released in the end of 2020.

1 Like

@Edwin just to be clear the air purifier will be designed to work within the enclosure, not as a standalone attachment (such as an air assist would be). Is that correct? I want to be sure because I did not purchase the enclosure.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Atom

The air purifier is an add-on of Snapmaker and is compatible with the enclosure. The machine generates gases and fumes inside the enclosure, which are directed to the air purifier through the exhaust pipe for purification.

In a word, you need an enclosure for the air purifier.

Best regards

1 Like

i´m interested too, more power for the laser and also the air purifier, actually the enclosure is nice because of the light and the noise insulation, but for the laser it´s a bit worthless.

hoping it´ll be available soon :wink:

2 Likes

Is there an update on the 8-watt laser? I bought some 3mm mdf board not realizing the 1.6 Watt laser couldn’t cut it.

Yeah the laser even has problems with some 1/8" (3mm) plywood. Seems to depend on type of wood and type of glue used.

1 Like

just another person very interested in this 8 watt laser, i find i have to preform 45 passes at 100mm/min with a depth of cut of 0.05mm per cut. that was just to get thru baltic birch that was 2.8mms

i also find that 30 passes at 50mm/min with the same depth of cut gets thru it but the width of the cut is slightly too large.

you honeslty should just make us some adapters to fit a 20watt china laser on these bad boys. im about to start modding this machine. how amazing this machine would be with alot more power available. with a warning … MUST HAVE ENCLOSURE AND EXHAUST FAN !!!

1 Like

@Edwin,

Is there any update on this?
Thanks

Yeah others have though about it (I assume you mean the 20W input lasers) the big issue right now is that we don’t have the program that runs in the heads. If they ever open source that you will see a bunch of head mods.

Also remove your depth of cut. I found having any depth of cut only hinders cutting through wood. I can get through most 3mm plywood in under 15 passes

2 Likes

Ah, but we do: GitHub - Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Modules

1 Like

They snuck that up there didn’t they! Thanks @staff … I guess? I wish they would have made some announcement or just… anything

1 Like

Well that is great news!

Programmers, as a rule, don’t care much for glossy brochures, which is where their strength lies. Other forms of communication aren’t nearly as competent.

2 Likes

So only the touch screen seems to be missing :grin:

1 Like

I would love a glossy brochure giving me all the technical specs :smiley: