Laser engraving on leather

I have the Problem that if I laser engrave leather, it works fine and looks fantastic. 100%, 50% 25% laser power, all good.

The problem I have is, afterwards if I touch the engraved area the soot (bunt hide particles) are all over my fingers and smear all over the not engraved leather if touched. and that shadow then stays in a light brown its really impossible to get out these small particles from the pores. anyone knows that problem and has a solution?

Same problem here, is there some cleaning agent for this?

Depends on your leather. How dark is it and how has it been treated?
You can use any of the usual leather cleaners, saddle soap etc. but that may darken the leather overall.
Higher power and faster will cause less burn and soot and may help.
-S

I finally found out how to do it, so easy now I ask myself why I didn’t think of it earlier… anyway…

Take some painters tape.
This kind of tape:
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/42790451

I don’t know the product I sent you seems really expensive, just so you know what type of tape I mean. It should stick, but not supergood.

Then Put it over your leather, watch that there is no overlapping and they connect seemingness.

Engrave with xx% power (depends on the thickness of the leather) and xx% speed (depends on the detail).
When engraving is done, take a sponge or similar and a little water and clean the engraved area, the black dust will get smeared over the tape but not the leather, once all the black dust is gone simply take of the tape.

Works fine for me!

4 Likes

To make sure I understand what you’re suggesting here, you’re covering the entire surface of the leather piece with painters tape and then lasering the leather through the tape (essentially burning off the tape & glue). Correct?

Exactly.

For Example:
I needed to engrave a logo ( a circle) d=20cm, so I covered a square of 50x50cm with the tape, and make the circle in the middle. The laser burns through the tape and perfectly engraves the leather. afterwards you have no problem cleaning the surface because of the tape and when finished take of the tape.

I will try the tape, but now how can I get the burning smell out of the leather? I am cutting and also engraving

The smell is because basically its burned skin…
There are a few things you can try… First I would put it outside for 1 or 2 days that helps a little bit…
The other option is to use washing powder which you normally use for your washing machine…
Take some water and mix a little bit of washing powder in until its solved.
While the tape is still on after the engraving, take a sponge and wipe of the black powder and then take another sponge with the washing powder water and clean it again a little…

I know from tanneries that they tried this during the tanning process of hides which had a lot of cow shit on them…

1 Like

Thanks, I will try it out