Laser engrave/cutting for clear acrylic

Yeah these are similar settings that sm support suggested for clear acrylic and will test this now @BluegrassBlaster

@edf i wantet to try white too i mean you can cut a wihte paper too wihy shouldn that work too

@cbardon i used exact settings as you but quickly realized its to strong so set the power back to 75% but it was not much difference

Yeah i noticed that this option was not there anymore

and I don’t know why but the sm completely ignores what I do in the settings
i do a vektor engrave with 500 mm/min 50% power. I start the job and he’s doing it with 100% and 2500mm/min!! I mean WHY?!?

Has anyone tried blue painter’s tape?

Can you be more specific in how she used this? Thank you Mary Beth

Hi, I posted a thread earlier, but thought that maybe posting here as well might help me find some answers as to why my laser isn’t work.

I’m using this transparent acrylic and I’ve not taken the other backing paper off yet. I’m still extremely new to this, and when I run my project, I can’t get the laser to turn on at all.

photo_2021-11-24_07-31-29

I’m using the guide to engrave and then hopefully cut the material out. I’m trying to make stuff for friends and family, but once I start running the program, the laser itself won’t turn on at all.

I noticed that the laser is at 0% here, but shouldn’t the setting in the G-Code override this setting here in the Auto-Mode section? I’m kind of at a lose and can’t figure out what’s wrong. This machine is only a few months old and shouldn’t be messing up already.

80616745_19315008.nc (2.5 MB)

You should go for your own thread or search in the forum, maybe this helps:

So what’s the best method to attempting cutting/etching on something new?

I want to 2 way mirror acrylic that is 1 mm thick. There is a protective plastic cover on the non-mirror side and light blue plastic covering the mirrored side. I don’t want to remove these before hand cause I do not want scratches on the acrylic. I started by creating a small square box in Luban and applying the Acrylic setting according to Snapmaker’s recommendations. I would make small tweaks to the settings and continue to print the squares. It got close to cutting through but not completely. So then, after reading this thread, I added blue painters tape on both sides of the acrylic. Finally I got it to cut like 99% of the way. A gentle push with my thumb and the square popped out.

So now I try to cut a circle and it didn’t work. Like not even close. So back to making small tweaks. I still cannot get it to cut thru 1mm of acrylic. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Do I give up and just go to CNC?

Use a flame on the cut edge will give you a nice smooth finish.
Check google on how to clean edges of cut acrylic, it work great

As several people have already stated, there are ways to do the engraving. I think what the OP and others are missing is the only reason that the engraving looks like that is because the acrylic is sitting on a white light source. If you look at the wooden base, you can clearly see the electric cable, meaning there is power. Just like crystals that have been etched by a laser, when the light shines through, you see the details because the damage caused by the laser disrupts the natural flow of light. I suggest trying one of the suggestions here to get the clear acrylic to be able to absorb the energy from the laser and then find a base to place the acrylic piece into.

Wow, I watched the video you shared and it’s impressive how that guy was able to engrave directly on clear acrylic. It seems like he achieved great results. Regarding your experience with the Snapmaker 2, it can be frustrating when things don’t work out as expected. Based on the settings you mentioned, it’s possible that the laser power or speed might need adjustment for clear acrylic. Clear acrylic can be more challenging to engrave compared to other materials due to its transparency. You may want to try reducing the laser power or slowing down the speed to achieve better results. Manually adjusting the focus instead of relying on auto-focus might improve the engraving outcome. Keep experimenting and don’t hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Good luck!

Wow, I’m glad you enjoyed the video! The guy’s skill with engraving on clear acrylic is indeed impressive, and the results are outstanding. As for my experience with the Snapmaker 2, you’re right; it can be frustrating when things don’t work as expected. I appreciate your advice on adjusting the laser power and speed for clear acrylic. I’ll definitely try reducing the laser power and slowing down the speed to see if it improves the engraving results. And you’re right about the challenge of engraving transparent materials like clear acrylic.

I’ll also follow your suggestion of manually adjusting the focus instead of relying on auto-focus. Hopefully, that will lead to better outcomes in my future attempts. I won’t give up and will keep experimenting until I get the results I desire. Thanks for your support, and I’ll reach out if I need any further assistance. Wish me luck!