Is the Snapmaker basically trash for 3D printing?

I am glad my little test helped someone.

I’m still trying to master what I am seeing from it myself.

I am surprised to find that lowering my bed temperature 5 degrees had a very positive impact on the overhangs…

Found the same.

I’ve been bouncing between the different color encodings for the Layer View in Cura to track down issues with the bridging, and found that I had to tweak a couple of the experimental bridge settngs so that the three bridges would all be handled by the bridge code (the shortest was being treated as an overhang by default). The Flow and Speed coloring helped the most for this.

Next up on the tweaking is the tops of the cylinders, which have mild blobs and an obvious ring once there are no other features to print, and which the Layer View shows to be running at the minimal speed. Haven’t figured out what’s causing that yet.

But yeah, great test - even with the pricey+slow matte filament, it prints in under an hour at 0.1mm and costs maybe ten cents a pop :slight_smile:

EDIT: It was the minimal layer time causing the slowdown on the top half of the cylinders. Lowered it from 5 sec to 2 sec and the problem went away.

@MooseJuice lol why does the link your name is attached to go to the MooseJuice IPA website.

Just a small joke of mine. I usually have a few cans of that in the fridge, so it immediately springs to mind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh lol

Moose Juice

3 Likes

SM 2 is my 1st 3D printer. It is out in my garage in SF. Once I calibrated the head it prints great most of the time. And I am printing with filament that sits out in the garage for months.

So I would say, it’s a great 3D printer/laser/CNC if you are comfortable putting it together.

You are correct in your early evaluation of the product. We have owned less expensive 3D printers, and we have been more satisfied with the ease of use and print results of these devices.

We have the Snapmaker A350T w/enclosure, and have been very frustrated with software updates not working over the WiFi, unpredictable file transfer problems over WiFi, and prints are unpredictable.

It is a very impressive ‘looking’ machine, and maybe the engraver and CNC function better, but the 3D print features does not compete with the ease of use or print results of single function printers.

1 Like

Why resurrect a 3 year old thread only to post a complaint?! All your posts seem to be complaints.