Help installing new 40w laser

Just got my new 40w laser… Wow is it big! Anyway, I’m a victim of leftover parts. I have a laser lens protector I’m trying to use, but nowhere in the instructions (quick set up or PDF) does it say how to use. Is it something that goes on the laser when in use or only when storing?

Thanks all!

1 Like

It should be a spare part, have a look at the wiki:

https://wiki.snapmaker.com/general/maintenance/clean_laser_lens_protector_of_10w&20w&40w_laser

That’s what I thought, but I don’t see this part installed on the laser module itself. So that’s my question. Does it need to go on during use or only when in storage?

There should be one while operating and stored. You could check with the provided cotton swap.
Maybe it is not easily visible like at 10W Laser?
https://wiki.snapmaker.com/general/maintenance/replace_the_laser_lens_protector_of_10w&20w&40w_laser

I think you found my answer. Looking up into the laser opening, it does in-fact look like the spare part I have. Everything I’ve seen on the 40w and nothing even talks about this. Thank you so much for finding this for me. I’ll make note for the future.

Is this a maintenance item that will need to be replaced periodically? What would trigger the replacement?

Here you go:

1 Like

I saw that thread, it was good. But, cleaning and replacing are different. I’ll have to shoot off the question to support I guess.

Miranda’s (support’s) response.

If the dust/tar is not cleaned in time, the laser will hit the lens protector. Excessive temperature will cause damage to the lens protector. In this case, the lens protector needs to be replaced.

1 Like

Is there a protective cover already installed on the laser or do I need to install the one that came with the swabs? If I understand the responses correctly, there is a protective lense installed on the laser out of the box and the spare is for when the old one becomes unusable. Is that correct?

That is my understanding from snapmaker support.

Yes, you got it correct. It’s like at the 10W laser preassembled.