FYI:Source code of Snapmaker Firmware

@Edwin, Any news on the release of FW Source Code for the last version?

Here is the link for the download page of Snapmaker 2.0 firmware:

@Edwin, thanks a lot for the source :slight_smile:

Any idea when is expected the formal publishing as an Open Source project?

The source shared compiles nicely but in order to load in the printer some instructions are missing (I’ve seen that the FW updates packages include the Marlin firmware plus other things, so definitely how to create a FW upgrade package would be helpful :grinning: . The rest of the code ( I assume screen at least ) will be also open source?

1 Like

@Edwin Thank you very much for posting the source, very helpful.

Just confirming - that is the source just for the main controller. Any chance the source for the display, or toolheads will be released?

2 Likes

@Edwin
Any update on the publication of the source code. As far as I can understand all backer rewards have been fulfilled by now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/snapmaker/snapmaker-20-modular-3-in-1-3d-printers/posts/2967921

2 Likes

The Snapmaker 2.0 firmware will be open-sourced thin month as our soft engineers are writing the relevant documents.

BR

3 Likes

Hello @Edwin.
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to that. The github issues will definitely help as well in the communication!

While it would be much better to have access to official tools for this, I uploaded some two tools I wrote to create FW upgrade packages for the Snapmaker to my GitHub at https://github.com/zauguin/SnapmakerUpdate .
Obviously you have to be very careful when using this because it can easily brick your device when e.g. your controller no longer works and there might be no easy way of restoring it.

6 Likes

Does this mean that you have been able to create a complete firmware package from source that uploads and works on the controller?

Yes. Using that software I created an updated controller firmware (enabling bezier curve (G5), firmware retraction (G10, G11) and G-Code macros currently) and successfully installed and used it.

3 Likes

I’ve forked the work of @zauguin and modified to build under Windows. Huge thanks for his efforts making these tools. I verified by unpacking and repacking the firmware file the output of these tools is byte for byte identical with the official firmware.

6 Likes

May you share your tool in a little showcase thread to get some input how it works?
Thank you!

“How it works” on which level? Do you want to see how it can be used to create update packages (that would probably end up being more or less a reformatted copy of the README) or how it works on a technical level?

The main idea was not to loose your post in the Sourcecode thread. The Readme version would be ok. Thank you!

It was a little late yesterday and now it’s a bit early today :sleeping::joy:

Snapmaker2-Modules is an all-in-one firmware for Modules of Snapmaker 2.0 3-in-1 3D Printers, it gets the Device Id of the current module from flash and then performs different business logic accordingly.

9 Likes

It is so cool to see that people pick up the open source and start to implement improvements! That’s what will make SM2 not only a good, but an excellent product in the end! I wish I’d be able to spare more time myself on this…
Thanks for all efforts done!!!

@Edwin , any plans to update the GitHub for modules, controller?

The source code for the Controller is updated pretty regularly, latest was back in March. They still have the code for the other modules locked up though, it seems.

1 Like

Edwin is not at Snapmaker anymore, he left the company a long time ago. Maybe @Tracy could answer?

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about getting custom g-code commands somewhere outside marlin range, that would generate canbus calls, so we could make accessories for those calls. Reason for asking about the source code.
Maybe @Riskey could help with GitHub updates?