Extruded calibration

Can anyone please explain step by step on how to adjust the extruder settings?

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#esteps

THIS IS A COPY AND PASTE FROM ANOTHER THREAD, IM USING IT AS A GUIDELINE TO HELP WITH A POSSIBLE UNEVEN BED ISSUE I AM HAVING WITH MY NEW A350. LOOKS LIKE I WAS UNDER EXTRUDING BT ABOUT 15% WHICH IS DEFINITELY GONNA HURT INITIAL LAYER ADHESION. GOOD LUCK

thought a summary of everything you guys listed in the previous messages would be helpful for us newbies getting started. I struggled with some basic things, so I thought I would share a detailed set of steps to help us get through the extruder calibration.

1. On the touchscreen, swipe and tap Controls, preheat the nozzle to 200C and load the filament
  2. While the nozzle is heating, connect a computer via the USB cable and connect with Luban (as of 7/31/2020 trying to send commands via WiFi doesn’t work, I wasted a lot of time finding this out)
  3. In the terminal inside of Luban, type in M83 to enable Relative Mode
  4. With some calipers or a ruler, measure 100mm of filament from the top of your extruder and cut it or mark with tape (I cut it since it’s so easy to load/unload filament with the SM2)
  5. In the terminal, enter G1 E100 F300
  6. After the command finishes (extruder stops moving), measure the remaining filament you have left in millimeters. We will call this measurement “R”
  7. In the terminal, enter M503. In the response you get back, look for the text M92 and find the E value. We will call this value “E”
  8. Calculate “S” with the following equation, S = E * 100/(100-R). As an example, if you measured R = 11mm, and found E = 212.21, then S = 212.21 * 100/(100-11) = 238.44
  9. Update your “S” value or the new steps/mm value to the SM2 by sending the following command in the terminal, M92 E###.##. For the example above, it would be M92 E238.44
  10. To save this value permanently send the M500 command
  11. You can verify everything is updated by resending M503 and look for the E value in the M92 line.

This info is basically from chazr33gtr and rojaljelly. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with us!

I HAVE COMPLETED MY CALIBRATION, SOME THINGS TO NOTE;

• I AM GREEN ANS A GRANY SMITH APPLE AT THIS
  • I AM USING AN APPLE COMPUTER OS 10.13.06 HIGH SIERRA
  • I WAS UNABLE TO CONNECT WITH THE CABLE TO THE PRINTER
  • I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT WIRELESSLY
  • WAS NOT ABLE TO RETRIEVE A M503 REPORT TO GET THE M92 # SO I USED AN AGGREGATE # OF 210 AND INITIATED MY CALCULATED S # AT 246.27 FOR FIRST ATTEMPT FOR M92 E###.## THIS BROUGHT ME CLOSE I ENDED UP WITH E VALVE OF 255.86.
  • THIS HAS MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN BED ADHESION.
1 Like

Great summary, I measure 120mm and extrude 100, measure what you have left, take of 20 to work out how much was extruded. If you dont and it’s over extruding you have nothing left to measure.
This site also includes a calculator to save doing all that working out though knowing what’s being done is also a good idea.
https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#esteps

This is super info. Except I don’t know how to access the terminal?!? Is there a screen shot or tutorial on this?

OPEN LUBAN - TURN ON MACHINE - CONNECT THE CABLE SUPPLIED FROM YOUR COMPUTER TO THE PRINTER - OR CONNECT WIRELESSLY - THERE IS A CONNECT BUTTON ON THE PAGE. THEN YOU CAN USE THE TERMINAL WINDOW TO ENTER YOUR COMMANDS.

I’m connected to WiFi and when I enter M503 through terminal in Luban I’m not getting any response back but ok.

You need to connect via USB to receive informations afaik.

1 Like

Yep.
Wifi doesn’t respond. Only sends. Have to be usb.

-S

1 Like

If your cell phone has USB OTG capability, you can use an app such as '3D Fox’s to send commands to your printer. You have to get the appropriate cable for your phone. The A350 has a mini-USB connection, so I used a USC-C to mini-USB cable, and it worked great.

You are able to do the calibration without feedback,

the default number should be 212.21

then do it a 2nd time to confirm with the new value you entered for the equation in the event that something changed.

i sent these instructions to someone:

connect over wifi

Preheat machine

Send command:

G91

Measure and mark 120mm from the entry point to the 3dp module, snip if you want.

Send command:

G1 E100 F50

Measure remaining filament.

Use this calculator, with the starting value: 212.21

enter remaining filament distance

Send this command, based on the value given back from the calculator:

M92 E(value)

Send this command:

M500

reboot machine.

Repeat as necessary, substituting the 212.21 with the value the calculator gave you on the last try.

the first try is probably first enough, but the 2nd will ensure things because the original value is known at that point by your entry and do not require feedback from the machine.

the calculator is on Teaching Tech 3D Printer Calibration (teachingtechyt.github.io)