Cutting fabric with laser

Does SM 2 cut fabric? I see the definitive guide needs to be updated as it has info on limited materials!

You can definitely cut through fabric with the laser (or set it on fire!) See sdj544’s tests in Laser - Fabric/clothes? - #5 by sdj544 —they were trying to get it to engrave, but certain settings did cut through.

2 Likes

Thanks but that was a burn not a successful cut, I believe it is not possible!

The 80% power attempt did cause a burn, but if you read through the text, some of the other settings are described as cutting through (usually on the Ts in “test”). The problem would be regulating the settings to cut through but not set fire—it probably only works within a narrow band.

I don’t think it’s really possible, but a lot depends on material.
I know people have had success cutting leather. So if it’s going to work it would be with material that’s either dense and thick or light and thin. The color of the material will also have an effect.
If you want to try, I’d say keep power at 100% and try to go as fast as possible. The slower you go on any material the more burn and char you get. Maybe with a few passes you could.
Also, make sure if you’re cutting synthetic materials you know what they’re made of. You don’t want to be cutting anything like vinyl or pvc that can release chlorine.

-S

2 Likes

I believe even if we somehow manage the power / speed, the nature of fabric as a material will let it be displaced after being cut, it will not be steady like other stiff materials such as wood and cardboard and this is another challenge!

Lots and lots of starch? Or use double-sided tape to stick it down (with the caveat that you then want really good ventilation, because the laser will probably burn up some of the tape, too, and there’s no telling what’s in that stuff). Or maybe soaking it in an adhesive that’ll wash out (starch paste? At least that’s non-toxic) and sticking it to some sacrificial cardboard that way?

Definitely thought of that but forgot to mention. With thin pieces of material if you can cut in one pass then it might not be an issue.

-S

1 Like