Catastrophic Failure

I have 2 A350s, 1 at work, and 1 at home. I had just recently fully calibrated my work A350. Extruder, Axis’, everything. I WAS using wide painters tape on my print bed, but sometimes the tape would slightly lose adhesion, and it would lift off the bed, causing warping and other problems. I cleaned up my build plate (tape residue), and bought some purple glue sticks. Did 1 print, worked fantastically. Then I started a 12 hour print before I left for the day. This is what I came back to today.

No idea why this happened. I watched it for about 15-20 minutes as it did its first layers, and it looked PERFECT.

I emailed support and I’m waiting to see if I’m still under warranty and if it’s covered.

@Orbnotacus more common than you think. Usually attributed to faulty filament or the nozzle comes into contact with something and sticks to the nozzle causing a traffic jam, or could be a worn nozzle causing the filament to curl and stick to it. Sometimes caused by offset being too low and filament can’t get pushed out because of being too close to the bed. But since you watched the first layers, and were perfect, it’s not z offset. But I digress, you probably know all of this, I just wanted to post this for others that come across it.

I’m actually not sure if warranty covers this, it may be categorized as neglect since it wasn’t being watched. It’s really something I’ve never thought about because I’ve never had this happen, possibly due to the fact that I’m so OCD and a perfectionist that as soon as I see something like filament curling up, I take the hotend off, swap it out, resume then inspect the nozzle up close and change out the nozzle if needed. I also keep my filament in a printdry while printing. I know this will happen to me eventually and dread the day that it does, almost unavoidable. But I digress, again. Geez I’m just in one of those moods today I guess. Sorry if this is too long.

If yours is out of warranty would you by chance ask if it still were would they replace it? If not could you ask what is the reason it would be denied? I think it would be a good idea just to get the info out there about this. I could also just be an idiot and the answer is already known.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing, but you don’t know unless you try! So I contacted support, and received the auto-response. Now just to wait for an actual support response.
I’ve had a few different problems with this printer, but their support has always been amazing for me, so whatever happens, I’m sure they’ll take care of it without issue.

Yea my Z offset looked perfect, but now that you say it… my nozzle could probably use changing, and thinking about it now, wouldn’t really surprise me if one little imperfection further into the print caused a stray piece to curl up, que the domino effect, and you end up with fancy blob art.

I really want to know if it’s under warranty because if it isn’t, I wouldn’t mind taking this module apart just for tinkerings sake, lol.

I’m not as much of a perfectionist as you it seems, but I’m slowly getting there. I’ve fixed a few bad prints mid-print with various types of tape. For example, some support or infill starts to get wonky, just a bad layer or two. I’ll pause the print, clean up stray filament and the messy layers, and fill them in with a layer or two of painters tape, resume print. Hahahahaa, I have a few prints that turned out great in the end that have tape encased inside of them, and no one but me will ever know. Lol.

I’ll keep the thread up-to date on the happening of this catastrophe.

This is as clean as I’ve been able to get it so far.

Are you able to remove the hotend or is it still stuck in with melted plastic? I’d be interested to see if it is still (sort of) functional ignoring the melted fan ducts and after replacing the hotend. It’s always interesting to see how much abuse a machine can take before breaking.

I’m sure it would still “function” by just replacing the hotend, however, my sensor is damaged, and I don’t really want to take a chance on the warped fan shroud.

I have been in contact with Tracy, and I already have a new hotend, sensor, and shroud on the way. I really love snapmaker support. I have had a few issues with my 2 A350’s, but regardless, support has always been there, and FAST!

It was a HUGE pain getting all the rogue plastic off! And some had even forced its way inside the 3D printing module. Ugh. Not a fun day. In the meantime, I have taken the 3D printing module from my home printer and put it on my work printer, recalibrated the extruder, and everything has been smooth sailing. Now just waiting for my replacement parts so I can have both of them running again.

2 Likes