95% compared Snapmaker gCode and Cura gCode

Hi Team,

Find attached 2 gCode files one from snapmaker and one from Cura, I tried to match the settings and was success in getting around 95% matched however I need a help to understand Time Elapsed difference when both files compared, can anyone help me out. Cura_Test.gcode (150.2 KB) Snap_Test.gcode (149.2 KB)

The ; character is a comment in GCode. I don’t think v1 cares about any of those comments.

I’ve found the time estimate in Luban and Cura aren’t terribly accurate either. I wouldn’t worry too much that the ;TIME_ELAPSED comments are different, since they’re not right anyway :smiley:

I diff’d the files and they are essentially identical, as you note.

1. The snap_test is missing an M140 to set the bed temp.
  2. The nozzle temps are different (190 vs 200). Snaptest sets the temp to 190 on line 153, dropping the temp 10 degrees.

and what you actually asked about the time: check the machine parameters in Cura, such as acceleration and jerk, as that’s what is used to estimate the times. I believe if you search through the Luban directory structure you can find the cura profile used and maybe pull out what machine settings its using.

Thanks for the observation, as said i need to understand the TIME ELAPSED calculation as
I have set all the possible parameters same both in CURA and SnapmakerJS, then why the difference and also noted print quality is different if i print from CURA gcode. :dizzy_face:

Thanks Brent113, i am worried only on TIME ELAPSED as this is the only difference I can figure out when two files are compared and gcode generated from CURA does not print as perfect as snapmaker gcode although as you can see in the file CURA engine version are same.

Did you check the machine parameters?

Look at C:\Program Files\Snapmaker Luban\resources\app\resources\CuraEngine\Config\snapmaker.def.json, or the equivalent location if you’re not on Windows.

The machine parameters used for time estimation are as follows:

"machine_max_acceleration_x": {
            "default_value": 1000
        },
        "machine_max_acceleration_y": {
        },
        "machine_max_acceleration_z": {
        },
        "machine_max_acceleration_e": {
        },
        "machine_acceleration": {
        },

Verify you’ve configured Cura to use the same parameters. The default max acceleration in my instance of Cura is 3000mm/s/s, faster than the 1000 in the Luban configuration, and as such will shave time off the estimated print time.

Note this is purely academic and will not affect actual print times.

Since Luban uses an embedded Cura instance, located in .\resources\app\resources\CuraEngine, there are no differences in the gcode because the only difference is in the machine maximum acceleration template. This does not explain why you would be experiencing a quality difference printing 2 identical files.

However, the presence of a 10 degree print temperature difference between the two files will explain quality difference. Additionally, the lack of a heated bed set temperature is not trivial, and will also result in quality differences.

The comments time estimate lines are not executed and do not affect the output. If you’d like to test this simply delete all lines in the gcode file starting with the semicolon comment character. The resulting files will be identical except for the discrepancies I listed.

I did a diff after removing non-executed comment lines and here is the result:

The only differences are as follows, with snapmaker generated gcode on the right:

Note one of the final lines of the snapmaker gcode:
G1 Z125 E-1 F{speed_travel} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
is an invalid gcode command.

Thanks Brent, As you have stated with acceleration, I have set similar to snamaker config and also the temperature, however print quality is different. As it’s only 14seconds difference between the gCode and that should not be a problem. I am not sure why there is different in print quality when printed on snapmaker original. If possible can you print this gcode and check if you also notice any difference.

What are the settings for the snapmaker in cute I’ve been having a hard time finding information on it. Including extruder GCode setting start and finish

I’ve the same question as well. I am an absolute beginner and i want to try and figure out how to configure Cura for the snapmaker original?

You must click add new printer on cura and select the custom option then follow this instruction Snapmaker profile for Cura & Simplify3D · Manual make sure that when setting up the printer that you don’t have origin at centre selected and when you go to print your first model just load it onto the usb drive. When selected to print on the snapmaker the display will say that the target nozzle temp is 0. You must wait the bed will heat up THEN the nozzle will start to heat up to your actual programmed temperature( for it to start printing it takes around 5-6 minutes. I’m sure there is a way to change that but that’s how the instructions g-codes make it. best of luck!

I did manage to do that and print out a benchy. But even though i was using fine settings in cura, i find that the quality of the print output is much lower than luban in high quality mode. Also, i am still getting into a situation where i am not able to remove the brim from the bottom of the benchy because it seems to print the brim almost as a raft. I will try sanding the bottom to see if that helps over the weekend. But wondering what can i do to fix the quality issue and the brim issue.