3D printing and fire hazard

Hello everyone.

I have a question regarding fire hazard on these machines in general. What are the chances of it catching fire while 3D printing? I don’t own a house yet and have dozens of appartements in my building. My machine lives in the basement and I have no easy access for monitoring. I feel bad leaving the machine unattended without any sort of fire alerting system. Not only my life depends on it…

No way to get wifi linked, so I’m thinking of buying a GSM/4G smoke detector for the enclosure. Hard to find and expansive. If you have a solution or a gsm detector in mind thank you in advance!

Happy printing!
Stan

There are safety features implemented, which means for example if the thermistor breaks the machine will stop heating (runaway error).
On the other side, every consumer electronic like a TV could get or make a electrical short because of bad electronics or age.

Normally you should not leave a machine running, this stands in the manual, I guess.

I run cnc and laser if I am at home and let prints print.

As an extra safety measure you could put something like this in the same room (hang it 1m above the SM for example): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_0sawCkIk4

Just in case it would really go wrong.

Several posters on the forum had issues with nozzle temperature consistency. Since you’re concerned about a fire hazard, make sure you’ve applied some thermal paste to the thermistor. That addresses a known issue where the nozzle can overheat.

Hahah thanks! It lives along many other machines! That could be an expansive explosion haha :stuck_out_tongue:

I am not an electronic man myself clewis, could you show me where it is, or point me towards that discussion please?

I have gone for the GSM camera and fire detector. Thanks though!

Whats wrong with this picture - printre hot ends seems to be thread I read. It doesn’t have a great picture of where to apply the paste though, and I’m not finding a better one.

It’s quite simple. Put a bit in the hole. Put the termistor back in. You should be using electrically nonconductive thermal paste, so it doesn’t matter if it gets on the wires.