10W Laser and Laser ink

Hi,
I’m new to SM. I’m trying to print on Aluminum vs using Anodized Aluminum.

I bought a can of Brilliance laser ink and am having issues making the ink permanent. I’m reducing the work rate down to 100mm/s. And hopefully that will help. However, I need to know if there’s a way to modulate the Laser’s frequency:

1. Is it possible?
  2. If so, is Luban capable to mod the frequency
  3. If not, is there’s another software package that will allow this functionality?

Thanks for the input.
Gus

The pwm frequency? Maybe. The laser blue light frequency? No. The pulse frequency? Yes.

Sorry, I should have been more clear, The Laser’s wavelength. I’ve been reading that there are some specific wavelengths that work better for the ink, i.e. 1440nm

Their FAQ states this:

Fiber Laser:
Power =10 Watt
Speed = 50 mm/sec
Q-Frequency 200-500 (500KHz gives the best result, But some fiber lasers only go up to 200 KHz)
Hatch or DPI = 0.1 mm

A bit further down they also mention this (the question about free samples, bold highlight is mine):

• What type of Laser do you have and its wattage?
    • Glass Tube
    • Metal Tube
    • CO2 (Minimum 25-30 watts is recommended)
    • Fiber (Minimum 10 watts is recommended)
    • Yag (Minimum 10 watts is recommended)
    • Any other diode lasers like 1-7 Watt is NOT suitable.

So the 10W laser module (if it works) will be the bare minimum and the workspeed should be at max 50mm/s. So you’ll have to reduce the work rather even more than the 100mm/s qnd maybe even go below that 50mm/s to get it to work.

That’s 450-460nm. That’s defined by the hardware. Nothing you can change about that.

Thanks. I’ve contacted them already and they confirmed that it “might” be possible by reducing the work speed and possibly being able to alter the Q-Frequency.

I certainly can mod the work speed. But, didn’t know where/if I can alter the Q-Frequency. I was hoping I could get that direction here.

The laser diode driver is not configurable. This is a continuous wave laser and does not use Q-switching.

You might clarify if they were instead referring to PWM frequency, as I thought Q-switching is fairly esoteric for diode lasers.

I’m not familiar with a term specifically called “Q-Frequency” but I could imagine they are referring to resonator pulsed lasers where reducing the frequency would boost the power output.

From that article:

That would be pretty cool though.

Thanks for the input. I’m not an expert in Lasers. But the term was given to me by the tech support from the Brilliance ink company, i.e., “…you can try to change the Q frequency I believe. Check if you have an option.”

The article seems pretty cool if applicable. I’m going to try very slow work speeds to see if it works for this application. The tech also said the success is also substrate dependent. My part doesn’t call for anodizing, so I’m looking at alternate ways to print on Aluminum.

I’ll let you know what I find.

You could try laser marking paper.

From what I’ve found using dry moly lube, slowing it down or speeding it up doesn’t make any difference even on the 1.6 watt. The conversion is pretty much instantaneous at 100% power. Once the substance gets layered it’s gone.

-S

You don’t really have a “Q-Frequency”, this refers to Q-Switched pulsed lasers. That’s an optical thing which can be done with a rotating mirror. Pulse rate would be the equivalent here. In dot mode, the SM laser is turned on and off which sort of corresponds.