Some info on cnc tool changes and combo cnc/laser projects

Do I need a different sized collet for a 0.25 inch surfacing cutter, other than the one that comes with the machine?

Depends on the size of the shank. If it’s not 3.175mm you will need a different sized er11 collet.
-S

I’m confused…

I read this:
https://support.snapmaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024544094-How-many-collets-are-included-with-the-ER11-clamping-system-
and ordered a wasteboard mill with 1/4 inch shaft. I assumed that “it” in the second sentence referred to the collet.

I believe that the 1/4 inch shaft will work if I remember from what I’ve tried. It might be a snug fit as it is the upper limit that the included collet can hold, but definitely give us an update when it arrives to expand the knowledge of the community!

The article is misleading. It only comes with a single collet as it says: 1/8" or 3.175mm.
Where it says:

It supports a variety of carving and cutting bits with diameters ranging from 0.5mm (0.020 inches) to 6.35mm (0.250 inches).

It should say “With additional collets it will support a variety of carving and cutting bits with shank diameters ranging from 0.5mm (0.020 inches) to 6.35mm (0.250 inches).”
To use other sizes of bits you will need to purchase additional collets. You should never use one that is too loose or try to force one in that is too tight. Always insert the collet into the nut so it clicks in, before inserting the bit.

-S

2 Likes

Ok, that’s what I suspected. No big deal, but rewording that would be a good idea.

Thanks for the explanation from @sdj544 . You will need to purchase additional collets. As you can read the specs of the ER11 collet, you need to find the suitable substitutes within the range of. 0.5mm (0.020 inches) to 6.35mm (0.250 inches)