Laser - Repositioning material for second pass

First I apologize if this has been answered, but searching didn’t turn anything up, so I’m hoping this post finds the right eyes.

Most lasers have a ruler set up in the corners making repositioning of material fairly simple. However, Snapmaker does not have that feature. Has anyone made such a bed to fit the Snapmaker 2.0. Or, better yet, has anyone been successful in using a method to accurately go over the exact same area without misalignment?

fyi, I’m using the 2.0 a350t with 10w laser.

Appreciate everyone’s input!

1 Like

have you seen this - Accurate, Repeatable Laser Guide?

3 Likes

I have not, but am in the process of deciphering it. Looks to be exactly what I need. Thanks for the link!

1 Like

You are welcome, if it works, don’t forget to mark this topic solved so it can help others :slight_smile:

@Skreelink 's guide is great.

The other down and dirty way to do this for engraving (especially with something that you do repeatedly) is to just use the cnc spoil board. Create a graphic the appropriate size and shape for your materials and engrave that lightly directly on the spoil board. I have a series of circles and squares that I use to line up slate coasters. Work origin is always the default work origin. I can do tool and bed changes and come back weeks later and it still lines up perfectly.

This only works for engraving and not for cutting for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

-S

2 Likes

@sdj544 Thanks for the tip. I’ve done this before with some good results, but that is only for single pass operations. If I wanted to do a multiple pass, it doesn’t do as well. For instance, I want to start using powder coat to color my engravings. When doing this method, even being off a little has unwanted results.

I like Skreelinks approach, but still too much work… I’m thinking of making a “spoiler board” with rulers for machine 0,0. This way, I can push the object up against the rulers to get exact alignment every time.

Again, thanks for the reply.

1 Like