The first results

So I’m back from Weekend with some PET-results for you:

Spool holder for our Printer with ball bearings v0.5
Layer height 0,30 mm

Testing part with an inner thread (Tr28x3 = European PET-bottle cap) and an outer thread 1/2" for water installations.
Perfect results with layer height 0,10 mm:

The PET-models are really solid if printed slow enough with high temperatures.
My next desings will be a bench vise for the Laser/CNC bed (complete printable) and some meassuring Tools.

3 Likes

Do we have config settings or file?

I can tell you if you are interested.

My main settings are (at this moment of testing):

• layer height: 0,1-0,3 mm
  • wall/top/botom: about 1,2 mm (0,4 mm nozzle ==> about 3 layers for the walls)
  • printing speed: 30 mm/s
  • outer wall speed 15 mm/s
  • nozzle: 225°C (initial layer +5°C)
  • bed: 60°C
  • retraction 1,5 mm

I’m printing the most parts with Simplify3D because there are so many more settings to try but I use Snapmaker3D for parts that have to be more acurate and to test out the software.

Just tell me if you want more information about PET-printing.
If you want the .stl or .gcode files for the spool holder I can send it to you as I created it by myself.

1 Like

Just tried repetier host (interesting for linux users in particular) it works with some flaws.

1. You can’t turn on the printer and then connect. (Only god knows why)
    You need to establish USB- Connection, then turn on the printer and THEN connect.
  2. “emergency stop” command doesn’t have any effect on the printer.
1 Like

I would imagine you should be able to easily tune Simplify3D to print accurate parts as well. Usually print a hollow test cube, measure wall thickness, then adjust the extrusion multiplier accordingly. You’ll have exact parts after that.

2 Likes

My self designed spool holder works just perfect! Very smooth rolling.
All you need to buy is 2 PCs. of roller bearings 6203-2Z (outer diameter 40 mm, inner diameter 17 mm, width 12 mm, 2 metals closing discs, grease filled) - I bought them for about $5,00.

I just finished making the designs for Version 1.0:

• perfect smooth unrolling of the filament helps to get better results on the print because the feed motor doesn’t need to pull this hard
  • for spools with an inner diameter of about 53 mm
  • now with screw-nut to hold down the spool onto the hub
  • spool width 50-55 mm (smaller spools will need a simple spacer ring) - but usage without nut also possible
  • mounting without tools on the metal rod on the snapmaker (without the plastic sleeve)
  • for changing filament you only have to unscrew the M48x2 nut

I didn’t have tested this upgrade yet if it does work with the originally provided filament spools in width but the inner diameter is the same so it should work just fine.

STL-files for this mod (I suggest printing it with layer height 0,15mm):
Hub: Hub.stl (1.1 MB)
Axle: Axle.stl (250.5 KB)
Sleeve: Sleeve.stl (108.5 KB)
Screw-nut: Screw-nut.stl (305.6 KB)
Shim: Shim.stl (31.3 KB)

8 Likes

rojaljelly this is really cool. I wonder if you should move this to its own post on the showcase thread? It would make it easier for everyone to find your creation. It seems like a must have.

Hi! I’m not sure because it isn’t this special…

Maybe, but it solves an important problem with the design of the stock holder. Who wants a wobbly spool? No one does, and your design appears to solve that problem.

Currently I’m working on some cool inlay work with small magnets.
These magnets (Ø10x2mm) don’t cost more than 20 cents a piece - I bougt 100 pcs for about 18 Euros:

I’m making some presents for christmas and my coleagues at work:

Designs I allready made with magnets inside: stars, hearts, moon shaped objects, company logos,…
Simple as hell and quickly printed.
I always make some copies to have time for laying in the magnetic discs (not possible with Snapmaker3D jet) but if the print is not too small you have enough time - just before the ceiling of the hole is printed.

The hole for the magnet is just 0,1 mm in diameter bigger than the magnet itself so you can “snap in” the magnets. With 0,2 mm air they are a little bit loose and can snap to the fan underneath the printing head (I have a solution for this too but with 0,1mm everything works fine).

4 Likes

My 2¢…

ALL useful designs should be gathered together into a showcase area…

Just because it does not seem worth much to you, does not mean it has little worth to a newbie like me…

I DO know a consistent drag on the line feed directly effects print quality…

The finer the detail, the more it matters…

william…

4 Likes

Thanks a lot! I will make some new prints of the spool holder with a new PLA/aluminum filament when I have the time for it and maybe move it to that section - maybe my own showcase section :wink:

2 Likes

Are you on thingiverse or any similar sharing site by chance?

If you make enuff good things, no reason not to show off…

There should be an area for SnapMaker improvements, and another for “just cool”…

Tips and cautions along with any artwork will improve the experience for others…

Especially newbies like myself… :slight_smile:

william…

2 Likes

No I’m not at the moment. These are my own ideas and drawn by myself but if you are interested in any model - you just have to ask. Also I’m doing some special parts my friends came up with - they are giving me a sketch or a sample and I’m trying to make/reproduce them - I love this “work”!!!
I have no problems with sharing.

At this stage I’m still trying to improve my skills on the printer itself. So much more ideas are waiting in my brain to grow to life.

1 Like

How much do you know about scanning…?

Via pix, camera, copier, and/or laser…?

Scanning is an area I am in much need…

Camera mated with Laser will be the direction I’m going for my first new SnapMaker module…

I have to gather software coding/libraries for the imaging, boundaries, outlines, and measurements for a stand alone scanner module design…

william…

I do copies with my caliper. I don’t need to print objects that can’t be drawn in CAD.

bah, u no fun…

i WANT to get the real world into CAD…

like an old giant jar, which needs a lid…

60+ years old, weird threads, my ol star-trek-snapmaker scanner should just pop those dimensions into cad, and allow me to “add” outer shell and print…

william…

This should get you started:
https://pinshape.com/blog/the-11-best-3d-scanners-on-the-market/

You should be able to pick up a kinect for under $35. No reason to wait for your snapmaker to start scanning.

Ummm $35…? $95…?

Point taken… Perhaps my first SnapMaker add-on module…

william…