Use of linear Axis independently of Snapmaker -Controller

Hi, I had the same idea about building a custom device using the SM aixs modules, which really look great. From what I have read in the forum so far, the cable seems to have both CAN and the stepper pulses.

Hence, wouldn’t it be possible to connect the axis modules to a different controller, e.g. a GRBL shield without drivers? I have to look further into it, my guess would be that what goes into the stepper driver on the GRBL shield could just be sent to the SM axis modules.(*)
I imagine that this would be an easy and straight-forward solution to control a custom setup with G-code, without having to worry about too many things.

Any thoughts?

(*) EDIT: Just looked it up, the axis modules could be connected to an arduino running GRBL, no need for the hat carrying the drivers. However, any other more advanced printing/CNC controller with MCU on board could also be used this way, i.e. by leaving out the driver modules and just connecting the Snapmaker axes - so more axes and additional functionality would be available.