New Module IDEAS

are you talking about something similar to a 5th axis

By Object Rotating Mount I refer to something akin to a lathe, but meant as a way to hold an object for Laser Imaging (or perhaps also for CNC, which I guess would make it an actual lathe). For instance if you wanted to laser image the outside of a plastic mug.

That is a sweet idea. I never thought about engraving mugs.

1 Like

Hi @jwaggonr05

Did you see the Rotary Attachment project on Thingiverse for the Snapmaker https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2784777

f0691c1a2604a72781bcb755aa49978a_preview_featured

Doug

4 Likes

I did not. That’s Quite Cool. Tx!

1 Like

Or like this one:

https://shop.ogadget.com/products/sparkmaker?utm_source=ks&utm_medium=ks

Perhaps SnapMaker could partner with SparkMaker to produce a module that would work with the SnapMaker drive module?? You only need one drive.

1 Like

Does snapmaker have any plans to make a hardened metal hotend for the more abrasive filaments?

2 Likes

The snapmaker uses a standard extruder nozzle with M6 thread - a hardened version or alternate orifice size wouldn’t be too tough to swap out. It’s important to use 2 wrenches when doing this; one for the nozzle and one for the heat block. The heat break can be snapped if placed under strain and that’d be crappy. Take note of and be careful of the thermistor and heater in the heat block. I generally swap nozzles while the machine is hot and also not attached to the X axis, it’s easier to manipulate on its side. So throw a ruby tipped extruder in there and go carbon fiber crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Hi @Rainie @noah @whimsycwd

After using all three modules now for a month albeit once on the CNC. I have a few suggestions for future modules.

1. Improve the ability to swap heads; maybe some form of slide mount with a locking arm.
  2. Improve the filament feed button on the 3D print head, it is so hard to use. There are many older users who would struggle with the button as it is, I am one of them.
  3. Improve the base-plate mounting system. I have found that the 4 mounting screws vibrate loose and you only notice that when one drops out. This causes base-plate movement that users may not be aware of.
  4. improve the bit holder on the CNC, a chuck or collet head to hold the cutting bit would be great. I lost my tiny grub screw and I need to find a replacement.

I hope this helps towards to melting pot of ideas.

I am extremely happy that I backed the Snapmaker, you have made a great start with a quality device and I can only see it improving in the future.

Keep having fun.

Doug

5 Likes

So here is an IDEA:
Carve a mold out of Teflon, (Graphite could be a candidate too)
then use the Printer as a Plastic Injector to fill up the mold.
This would likely only work for small parts.
The Teflon could handle the temperatures without melting and let the plastic fill the cavity before it cools too much. I don’t know just how fast the Printer can flow material. You would want it to heat as high as possible without burning the material.

So some questions are:

• Whats the fastest the print head can flow material?
  • What’s the highest temperature it can heat to?
  • Can the nozzle heater be controlled to heat more when flowing more?
2 Likes

Calligraphy like this: https://gfycat.com/RipeFrailHydatidtapeworm

But: With a tilt-head control for three distinct purposes:

1. Calligraphy, so the line thickness would vary based on pen angle.

2. Mimic writing. More or less pressure to alter thickness of line/pressure on the paper. Mechanical writing is easily detected when the line thickness never varies.

3. Drawing on non-flat surfaces

3 Likes

I would like to see a solder paste dispenser. I have bought one of these , and it is awesome. He even includes instructions on how to set up a 3D printer/cnc for automation.

1 Like

Cool. We could use something like that for glue dispensing.
How hard would it be to tie it into the SnapMaker Control?

1 Like

I want to see hammer module with 0.5-1mm amplitude and about 1000 knocks per second, as hammer drill.
I need it to make leather embossing
If someone has any variants I open for discussion)

1 Like

I wonder if the Z axis could exert enough force to support that hammering?
How about using the hot nozzle to do the embossing? Of course that would likely void you warrant on the printing module. Perhaps you could build your own module that only has a heated point.

2 Likes

@Tone

I agree the vibration from the hammering would move the axis too much. I would mount a small impact driver on a drill stand and move the leather under it and raise/lower as required,

Doug

About own modules:
How to connect own heater and thermistor?
Someone has pinout?

Did you ever get your hands on a schematics? I would really like them too!

I was keen to use something like this but it looked like a lot of parts to print so i created a simpler version that seems to the job

if of interest have a look at

2 Likes

SLS might be nice to have as well.