Why is Line Direction for photos in laser not working?

I’ve tried everything to make sure it’ll go side to side instead of front to back, but it keeps doing this and shaking the project loose! I don’t know what to do, more tape holding the board to the surface isn’t helping I need to fix it so it doesn’t do vertical lines

You can only select direction when you use B&W for processing mode.

You must be trying to engrave something quite slick if it’s moving that much even with tape.
Hot glue can work to hold things. Use blue tape between workpiece and glue if necessary to protect it.
Or quake/museum wax.
You can also just use the cnc spoil board and clamps to hold it. Just make sure you account for extra thickness of board if you use auto-focus. Mine is 4.1mm thicker.

Wait, vertical is the only option when doing greyscale photos? Why?
Wouldn’t it make sense to do horizontal though? With the printhead moving instead of the tray with the part?

Use case, I’m trying to engrave on a large slab of pine wood, and really struggled to find a good brightness setting that doesn’t burn like 10mm into the plank. The only setting that only burned an acceptable amount was like 50% power, 500% speed.
The rubber corks kept popping off, I tried tape, I tried poster-mounting putty… but the thing is, I shouldn’t have to. If the print head were moving rather than the tray with the product, there would be very much less motion! Instead of the tray going back and forth a literal thousand times, you’d only have it run down slowly one time for each pass. Can’t do better than that.

It doesn’t really apply to grayscale since it’s using dots and the laser is firing off and on. It could go in a spiral and wouldn’t make any difference in appearance. The others use continuously cutting lines.

Lower the power to 10% if you need to. With grayscale you can also reduce dwell time.

500% isn’t a speed. What speed are you actually using?
I have a feeling by doing the 500% you’re speeding up everything and that’s what’s causing it to be extra jerky.

You could use some sort of non-slip mat between the work and the table.

-S

I meant percentage of the default speed, I never did define it in Luban.

And I still want to so horizontal lines. So much less movement. It’s not about looks, it’s about moving the laser instead of the print surface.

In the videos, they have the laser going side to side and the board moving forward slowly. How do I replicate this specific thing with making photos?

Hello, half hardware solution: what if you reverse the cables of X and Y axes. And you need also to adapt the image orientation in the software before.

I think to have the right picture after inverting the cables of X and Y axes, before engraving, you have to do on your original picture the following operations:

• Mirror it upside down (horizontally)
  • Turn it -90° (anti-clockwise)
    Or something like that, surely you need a mirroring and a 90° turn. To test, but it should work.

Still not really a solution, but a workaround. Not to mention, doing anything of quality using bitmaps isn’t possible. The mastering algorithms are poor for things like B&W logos, etc. So why isn’t there all orientations for Line Direction for vectors? The code is there and the setting UI is already there in vector engrave (but is ignored). Seems like easy “fix”.

I have a DIY Rotary, and I’d much rather prefer to engrave around the rotational axis (Y) and multiple choppy X strokes.