[Now compatible with 8-lead] Vibration Compensation Beta Firmware for 2.0 Series: Stable Print Quality at Higher Speed

Update June 8 2023

Dear Makers,

We have some exciting news to share with you!

Our vibration compensation firmware is now compatible with the 8-lead XY axes :mega: :mega: :mega:, and all the recommended printing parameters still hold true!

Well, thatā€™s not all.

Weā€™ve also resolved the previous usage issues related to the Dual Extrusion Module in this new release!

So, itā€™s time to unlock even greater magic of your dual extruder with this firmware and get ready to create some mind-blowing masterpieces! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: We canā€™t wait to see what youā€™ll come up with.

The download link below has been updated, so what are you waiting for? Go and give it a try!

Hello Makers,

Weā€™ve brought you a New Year Surprise: a high-speed firmware that incorporates Vibration Compensation for F models, AT models, and A models with upgraded Linear Modules (20-lead XY axes)! :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck: . The technology of Vibration Compensation that weā€™ve successfully applied on J1 now works on 2.0 as well!!! Hope you all have fun with it!

For more background information about Vibration Compensation and how we achieved it, see: How does Snapmaker J1 achieve both high-efficiency and high-quality IDEX 3D printing?.

Note:

• Compatible model: F models, AT models, and A models.
  • This is a beta version.
  • This is a parallel version to the regular update, adding only the Vibration Compensation feature. You can choose either to upgrade based on your own needs.

Download

[Update: 2023-06-12] Snapmaker2_2.1.0

Changelog:

• Added support for active vibration compensation.
  • Added support for the 8-lead linear modules.
  • Improved compatibility with the Dual Extrusion Module.

Known issues:

• When printing certain large models, the X axis might appear tilted.
  • Occasional layer shifting.
  • Slight abnormal noise during bed heating.

Performance Improvements (Single & Dual Extrusion Module)

• Printing parameters (recommended)

• 25% raised max. printing speed: 100 mm/s ā†’ 125 mm/s

• 250% raised acceleration: 1000 mm/s2 ā†’ 3500 mm/s2

• Printing time

• 1h 15m ā†’ 32m 34s (3Dbenchy, by the Single Extrusion Module)
  • Printing quality (see the pics)

Notes

• A models (8-lead axes) could work with this firmware without problems and there would be enhancements to the printing quality (not much obvious though), but the printing speed is not recommended to exceed 60 mm/s, because:

• This vibration compensation firmware adopts a more precise time-control mechanism to output the step signal of the step motor, which requires a higher step interruption frequency and more CPU resources than the normal-speed firmware. With the same printing settings, the step frequency of machines with 8-lead XY axes is 2.5 times higher than those with 20-lead XY axes, which also requires more CPU resources. Therefore, a machine with 8-lead XY axes and the vibration compensation firmware is a big CPU resource eater that could print successfully only at under 60 mm/s. But since this is a special firmware not embedded in regular updates, if you only have the 8-lead XY axes, you could choose not to install this firmware and still stick to the regular update, which does not have such speed limits.

• It is estimated that machines with 8-lead XY axes are prone to step loss when printing at above 60 mm/s.

• Limited by the cooling performance of the toolhead, the wall printing speed is recommended not to exceed 80 mm/s with the Single Extrusion Module, and not to exceed 100 mm/s with the Dual Extrusion Module. You could try the Overhang Wall Speed settings in Luban or Cura: the wall speed will be temporarily slower in areas with overhang structures.

• When the printing speed exceeds 100 mm/s, the TMC Linear Modules will automatically turn off the silent mode and thus you might hear louder noise.

• If you want to return to the normal-speed firmware (also supporting the Dual Extrusion Module), download the latest version here and weā€™ll appreciate it if you record the problem youā€™ve encountered with the vibration compensation firmware in this thread.

Welcome feedback and successful prints!!! :heart_eyes:

16 Likes

Thanks sciss!! Got it fixed :heart:

1 Like

Looks very interesting. Is the source for this firmware on GitHub somewhere? Iā€™m not seeing it in the Snapmaker2-Controller repo (GitHub - Snapmaker/Snapmaker2-Controller: Snapmaker2-Controller is the firmware for Snapmaker 2.0 3-in-1 3D Printers.).

Just to understand this: Does the new firmware keep the new feature on above 60 mm/s and will thus cause new problems with the 8 mm modules? If so, please give me an option to disable the feature! I regularly print above 60 mm/s with 8 mm modules, with no issues that are relevant to me. If however now my machine would skip steps because of the new feature, I would be really unhappy!

Anyhow: Thanks for making this feature available also to us ā€œoldā€ SM2 users :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Initial results are pretty nice. I was working on a high-speed profile some weeks ago, but there were clear vibration artefacts. Comparison (same slicer settings, different firmware):

PrusaSlicer settings (speed):

This print still took about an hour however. Can you share the full slicer settings for the 37 minute benchy?

Interesting. Which hardware is this on?

If youā€™re referring to my reply: A350 + upgraded linear rails + this cooler mod (and the SBR16 linear rail mod to eliminate play on the print bed, but thatā€™s not very relevant for a benchy).

This seems like a great upgrade, thanks!

Hope thereā€™s an obvious answer to this, but, how do I know if I have ā€œupgraded Linear Modulesā€?

The upgraded modules have a engraved text on it and have silent steppers.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply!

Can I ask how loud the newer rails really are? I just got a F350 for christmas and Iā€™m surprised how much noisier they are than my ender 3v2. I only hear the fans on my ender. To be honest, the 350 reminds me of the old makerbot we had where it would sound like r2d2. Is that normal?

r2d2 is normal. The new linear modules are really silent, depending on printing speed more or less but every time more silent than the original rails.

They are significantly quieter, but they are not silent. You will hear a low-level burr as they operate. Also, the lead on the XY modules is larger, so they move further with each rotation, giving them the ability to move faster at a slight reduction in quality. The reduction is so miniscule, that it isnā€™t visibly noticeable.

I installed this firmware and it runs pretty good, but i had a strange thing last night. In a 20 hr print after 11 hours it just stopped and the display stated that it lost the connecting to the unit. Pressed reconnect a few times but no response. I used lower speeds as the maximum in the article but i still think that the processor had a problem and therefor was not responding anymore. Luckily by shutting it down and rebooting the printer it went along with an auto recovery.

1 Like

Did you have a WiFi connection that was open? If so, I recommend closing your WiFi connection before any print, and that you donā€™t attempt to open a WiFi connection while printing. The only time I will ever use WiFi is if Iā€™m too lazy to take a USB stick to the Snapmaker (never happens), or if I need to use the Laser camera. If the WiFi connection is lost for any reason, even if youā€™re not using WiFi to print, the current print will abort. You might get lucky, and a popup will display while it keeps printing, but if you close the window, it will immediately abort.

2 Likes

No. I wasnā€™t doing anything with it. File was allready on the machine itself. As a first try with this one failed due to a knot in the filament. So i just restarted the existing file and whent to work again. When i came home i missed the singing from the printer so went to check and it just stood frozen with the error on the screen for the machine is not respondingā€¦

One issue Iā€™ve been having in this firmware is that the LEDs of the enclosure seem to flicker/dim sometimes as if there is not enough power going to them. On previous firmwares they were solid. Perhaps the increased CPU usage messes up the PWM cycle sent to the LEDs?

1 Like

Hi @Riskey @Alan , the firmware might have a little bug with the 10 watt laser. I used it but when i pressed the go to work origin it smashed down hard in the front left corner of the bed. Bending the laserbed including the heated bed beneath it and also the new spider platform is off now in the front left corner. This was solved a long time ago with the outcome of luban 4.5 but happened now with this firmware and up to date Luban 4.5.1 again.

1 Like

Hey @nfmaas, i am no snapmaker staff, only a user like you. :wink:

Ok sorry, a very skilled user then

1 Like