Troubleshooting for Laser engraving

There is no transparent layer (that I can tell) it is a single layer image and if I make the background white then I end up with “spots” on the background in the image.

There is a transparent layer (alpha channel shown as greyed checkerboard) as shown in gimp:
xmas

The spots may be from your computer pausing while the laser is operating or you might have been able to clean up the image with the Black and White slider.

Here’s the image with the white removed and cropped:

You shouldn’t have to remove the transparency - I laser engrave PNG’s with transparency all the time. You probably just need to adjust your Black&White slider setting. I typically have mine set at ~165. But if for whatever reason that you do have problems, just open the png with something like MS Paint and save it as a jpeg. Here’s the above PNG engraved onto a card:

I’m having a really tough time doing anything in greyscale. Would anyone be willing to try and run this as a test for me. The intent is to start at 100% power (Make Black) and decrease in 4% increments until we have a 4% black square(almost white) at a given speed so I can gather data as to what works well on various materials. It is meant to be a 115mm square with 25 filled squares of decreasing black level. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
25%20grays

I just recently received my snapmaker and am having trouble getting the snapmaker to generate the gcode. When I first open Snapmakerjs and connect to the port, it shows as being connected. I continue to modify the image and hit generate g code and nothing happens. It will allow me to then click load to workspace but it doesn’t load anything into the command box. I may be missing something but am totally lost.

Try smaller files, currently we have some trouble with big images (memory usage), or you can click View -> Toggle Developer Tool to see if there is any error log in console tab.

I seem to be having issues with laser focusing. I recently purchased the Snapmaker as well as the 1600mW laser. When I set the power with the focus button in the newest version of Snapmakerjs, the laser does not turn on. It originally worked but has now stopped at random. I’ve only used it about 5 or 6 times for very small engravings, so I’m not at all sure what the problem could be. If I set the work power and start engraving the laser then turns on and works no problem. I use about 3% power (which I’ve been doing from the start) for focus. Even if I set it higher it never turns on. Any ideas would be helpful.

@LouisT
You can use the command M3 P<percentage> (M3 P3 for 3%, M3 P10 for 10%) on the console to test out what power works for you, it’s equivalent to press the focus button. You can set the power either use work power or focus, the difference is the “Save” button only turns on the laser for milliseconds and then save the power for the next machine start.

No matter what I do, I can’t get the laser to display for focusing. When I hit run it turns on but I have no way of knowing if it will even work.

EDIT: I figured it out, I had door detection on which I guess isn’t working right. When I turned it off I was able to turn the laser on with low power. I’m not sure why door detection isn’t working, I only just got this setup a couple weeks ago.