SOLVED: New Linear Rail - Z-Axis not working

SOLUTION: Thanks to sdj544, I am back up and running great. I accidently switched my X-axis and Z-axis rails. They are different - 08 and 20.

I swear i have cables routed correctly. However, when I try to move Z-axis for first time, it drops about 15mm and then all ability to move is lost. I can move head to Home position… HOWEVER, if I reverse the Z and Y axes and restart, I am able to move across all axes as expected albeit the wrong way. When i switch back, it locks up again.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here? Logic says the issue is me but could I have a bad rail? My last straw is to swap an X rail for a Z rail and try again. Not fun nor expected to fix this issue…

I’m assuming by new rail you mean a new rail of the original variety. Not the new second generation rails. You can’t intermix 1st and 2nd generation. 2nd gen z-axis are different from y & z and not interchangeable.

I would say you still have cables hooked up incorrectly.
Unplug everything and check again. Especially which splitters you’re going to and from.

You can try just plugging a single rail at a time and seeing if they move fine solo.

-S

Just reread your post. I know I can’t mix 1st and 2nd gen rails. Are you saying that there are actual different rails for Y & Z for the second generation rails well? That would explain everything but I couldn’t find any difference when installing them.

@brettd123 with the new Silent Linear Modules, the X and the Y are exactly the same and are interchangeable. However, the Z axis uses a different lead screw pitch (the same as the original Snapmaker 2.0) with silent stepper drivers.

1 Like

I believe the x & y are marked with Lead 20mm. The z should be marked with Lead 08mm

-S

1 Like

@brettd123 not a single rail of the old can be mixed with the new, they are entirely incompatible.