Snapmakerjs vs Simplify3D

Anyone who owns Simplify3d, have you noticed any difference on printing quality or any other aspect of printing when using Simplify3D? I’m wondering if I should buy that. I print quite regularly and have noticed that Snapmakerjs don’t have too many tweaking options and some features I don’t like (for example printing with 100% infill and no possibility to adjust support material printing speed). I have tried some other slicers but those don’t have an option to print with usb-cable.

Cura seems to have the ability to print via USB, but I haven’t actually tried it. It has a lot of config options, most of which start out hidden until you decide you want to see them.

I mostly use Snapmaker3D, and I’ve stopped printing via USB. I like seeing the progress, but it hits my video card pretty hard, and I don’t have the best cooling setup. I’ve switched to following along manually using the layer slider. Other people have reported that they don’t get good laser engravings via USB due to the occasional short pause.

Hi @zuuhis79

Doug the newbie here. Like many of the users I have a huge thirst to learn and improve. I tried Cura after SnapmakerJS and Cura offers more options. Then after some research I purchased Simplify3D and it blew my socks off with the level of control you can have. BTW Cura has a new option IRONING, which helps to smooth the final layers. I use all three slicers still.

I found a quirky behaviour with Simplify3D when using stl files created in Fusion 360 in that if you have a project where a part may be made up of different shapes joined into one. I found that printing that project the parts were not really joined and the model would actually fall apart into those pieces. I had to use the Combine function in Fusion 360 to fix this. Whereas printing the stl file without using the combine function would readily print in SnapmakerJS and CURA with a solid model.

Hope this all makes sense

Doug

Thanks for the tips @clewis and @doug. Sounds like I need to give Cura a new chance. I have used it before a little but for some reason switched back to Snapmakerjs when it included 3D-printing features in it. I might still buy that Simplify3D because better support customization interests in it.

And by the way @doug, I have noticed you have been around for quite a while, you might not be a newbie anymore…

Hi @zuuhis79

The new version of Cura 3.6.0 is pretty good.

I am 64yo newbie hahaha I only started this 3D printing gig one year ago with the Snapmaker and I still feel that i have heaps to learn. I have not tackled the CNC as yet… There are elements of the 3D and Laser work that are a bit of a black art. I took the plunge on this forum to share everything I was doing and learning so as to make it easier for others who may be too timid to ask.

The forum has developed well with a collegiate and supportive nature and everyone is now asking and sharing which makes our experiences great.

I guess I am no longer a newbie, how about an apprentice with a few more years to go hahahah.

Keep having fun.

Doug

I’ll ditto what Doug said. I have simplified and for me it’s definately worth it, however I use lots of other slicers like fusion, cura, Prussa software, blender and even snapmaker to make the files print right.

Largest gain from simple that I use is the ability to manipulate the print layers in height and speed. I’m not sure if other free software does this as I mainly use these products to quick cut/merge stl files. Blender is hard to learn but very nicely finds and fixes messed up files.

I have Snapmakerjs, Cura and Simplify3D but I only use the last one.
The program is so powerful it would take an hour to describe…

So I suggest to have a look on their homepage:
https://www.simplify3d.com/

I got frustrated with Cura for two reasons (primarily):

1. it didn’t allow me to make custom adjustments to supports
  2. The snapmaker version didn’t run on Linux. Linux is my primary desktop, and I hated (dual) booting to windows just to 3D print.

As much as I prefer to stick with open source solutions, I’d rather use a closed-source solution on an open OS, than an open application on a closed OS. And, S3d, as roja just said, is crazy-powerful. It is extremely well thought out. The only thing I detest about it is the cloud-based login… That just has no place in desktop software.

Many strong arguments for Simplify3D. I’m gonna buy that on next payday based on your recommendations.

By the way, do any of you have any other printers than snapmaker? I’m considering to buy a creality printer for bigger printing volume. They seem to have a decent price/quality/volume ratio. Probably a bit more tweaking than with snapmaker, but I’m very interested in the possibility to print bigger objects.

They just released a heads up for snapmaker 2 kickstarter. A prussa 3 is just under 1’ build area and would be a good example of the difference between snapmaker idea and belts. I have a prussa and it works good.

The biggest problem that I have with snapmaker is noise/speed. You have got to go slow to minimize noise and that slows down the whole printing process. With small objects this doesn’t matter, but recently I made a 70x90x120 mm (detailed) object and it took about 12 hours. You cannot go faster that 30 to 40 mm/s or your wife goes crazy and/or your ears will rip. Slicer program might not help with this but a belt driven design might do something. We shall see if I get interested in that…

I’m running Snapmakerjs version 2.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.10 right now running a print. Installed the -tar.gz version to /opt and chown -R the installation directory to my user. Add yourself to the dialout group and you down’t need root privileges to connect to the USB port.

Last I checked, snapmakerjs was for laser etching and CNC… Cura was for 3D printing. Has this changed?

SnapmakerJS is for all three modules. Snapmaker3D now obsolete was merged into SnapmakerJS. CURA is a a totally separate application from Ultimaker. People started using it because it had more features than the Snapmaker application.

Doug

Actually, that is not entirely correct. They had their own cura that they had us using when I first received it. It differed slightly from the Ultimaker build (tweaked for/by Snapmaker), and they did not support Linux. They called it “Snapmaker3D”, but it was Cura. JS was just for the laser and CNC module at the time. I took a long hiatus (about 10 months) from 3D printing so, this has obviously changed in the interim.

If they have merged these, and they are on Linux, then they will get a major “+” in my book. I’ll have to download the latest version this weekend to check it out. Thanks for the info.

-mg

OK. Now that I’ve tried the Snapmakerjs for 3D printing, I have to say, there isn’t even a contest between it and S3D. In fact, I’d say both Cura and Slic3r are better as well (though S3D is the best of the lot). Cura is really good if you don’t need to tweak your supports much. Slic3r on Snapmaker… I didn’t care for… it was hard to configure right, I think. I don’t think I ever nailed it. But Cura gives you better feedback anyway and has a better UI (IMHO, of course :slight_smile: ).

You just don’t get much feedback using snapmakerjs for 3D printing… and you don’t get much control either. It was clearly built for 2D, and retrofitted for 3D. Perhaps they will ameliorate this over time… but I think unifying CNC, Laser and printing is probably a good call for people just starting out.

I just bought Simplify3D. I have finished only two prints but I am satisfied already. Still a lot of details to learn, but it works pretty good with little adjustments to default Snapmaker profile (especially starting script, print head hits to plate with that).

Has anyone tried to adjust acceleration and jerk settings? I read from forums that it can be done with starting script, but has anyone done it? And maybe get quality prints with higher speeds but lower acceleration/jerk settings?

Hi Zuu,

I’m curious… where did you get the profile? When I bought my s3d, they did not have it listed, and I had to get it from one of the technicians at S3D.

You said:

…print head hits to plate with that.

I’m assuming that was a typo, and you meant: print head hits the plate with that.

This is interesting to me, because mine just started doing that… I’ve been using it for a year, and it never did that with no changes to the fff or pre/post gcode… it is very strange…

I’ve never really messed much with acceleration or jerk settings… I’d like to, but never had the time. If you come up with something good, please post! :slight_smile:

Good luck, my friend.

-mg