Laser Module Setup Failed

The touchscreen seems to acknowledge the laser unit is connected (it automatically brings up the laser config/setup process) and runs it through everything except the actual burning/engraving process.

Any way to test a cable? They seem proprietary or uncommon.

Do you have an enclosure?
If the door is open (or door sensor is faulty or misaligned) laser power is turned off as a safety bypass.

You can try reversing the direction of the cable. Probably won’t make a difference. Some have pointed out that you need to unplug and replug cables sometimes. Not just make sure they’re pushed in. You can check continuity with an ohmmeter.

Could be a bad controller too.

I’d get a support ticket started (I assume you already did on 3D head).
They’ll run you through some things to try.
More info you give of what you’ve tried the faster you’ll get them to finish diagnosing and send you replacement parts if needed.

_S

I do have an enclosure and initial setup attempts performed with door closed.

1. Just retried in case the door was misaligned or not fully closed. Looks very snug and I can feel the magnets holding. Step 4.2.1, focal length, burning/engraving fails.

2. Confirmed “Door Detection” is off. Step 4.2.1, focal length, burning/engraving fails.

Cable seems secure on both ends. Reversing it could take a bit of doing, but I can give it a try later.

“feeling” the magnets being attracted to the enclosure, and the sensors in the enclosure actually detecting the precise location of the magnets are unfortunately different.

M119, issued via terminal over USB, not wifi, will report the status of the enclosure door switch.

Door detection had an issue awhile back where it could not be disabled. Depending on your firmware version that would still be the case - the touchscreen will look like it’s disabled, but it will be enabled.

Thanks for the new things to check.

1. Desktop: snapmaker-luban 3.15.1
  2. Touchscreen Version: V1.8.0.0
  3. Controller Version: V1.8.0.1_20200603

Installed drivers for serial connection from Snapmaker site, but desktop software cannot detect the port (tried this on two separate computers). I was able to enter the M1010 S0 command (disable door detection) from WiFi connection and got an “ok” response.

While in the touchscreen, I also noticed these under Settings / Laser:

1. Autofocus is On
  2. Camera Light is On (no light is on in the Laser unit)
  3. Camera Calibration (clicking on this results in “Camera is not connected!” error message)

In lieu of M119, you can use a small magnet to check the position of each of the 4 enclosure triggers. They are staggered down from the top alternating side to side. There is a small white LED inside that will light up. I marked the location of each trigger with a sharpie so it’s easy to reposition the magnets if they fall off.

Unfortunately I don’t really know which version 1.8 was because Snapmaker uses numbers that are different than the internal firmware versions. If that firmware is older than about 3mo. I’d guess it has the bug with door detection.

Thanks, brent113. I’m not sure I placed the magnets correctly, so here is a picture. I placed one at each of the four, rectangular spots (two per door, bottom section shown here).

Unfortunately, I still get “failed” on the 4.2.1, focal length, burning/engraving step.

Do you see even a faint dot of light coming out of the laser onto the paper? The “safe” power limit door detection triggers is 0.5% power, and for short times it’s safe to look at even without the glasses (for the 1600mW or under laser).

If the laser is not powering up at all that is a bigger problem. If it’s stuck in safe mode then it’s the enclosure.

Darkened the entire room and ran it again… completely black beneath the laser head throughout the process. I guess that is not a good sign.

Mmmmmm, yea. When the laser “power on” as part of the “burning” does the fan start spinning inside the toolhead (designed to cool the laser diode).

Regardless, you might want to consider emailing support@snapmaker.com and start telling support these things, if you need replacement parts they would be the people who do it.

Could be a bad laser diode.

The only way I would test the cable is check each wire for continuity.
The toolhead identification is via CANbus and a separate conductor for the 3D print stepper and the laser’s PWM control, see the diagram on this post:

It could well be that the same conductor is used and if that is faulty it would explain why the stepper motor doesn’t drive and there’s no laser output.

I’m afraid that’s a bit out of my depth and expertise. :slight_smile:

Appreciate the information though!

I appreciate everyone’s help and troubleshooting recommendations. I’ve emailed support with the issue and a link to the stuff we’ve tried here. I think this qualifies as a more than reasonable attempt at user fix.

Many thanks to @brent113, @sdj544 and @albutch .

Two issues were reported here.

• The 3D printing module’s gear does not move.
  • No laser beam comes out during auto-focus process.

Laser issue

Just unplug the enclosure cable and control the laser module on the touchscreen.

On the touchscreen, go to Control>Laser Power where please let the Laser Status be ON . Will the blue laser light come out?

You can see the laser height on the touchscreen, and check the value and report it here.

3D printing module issue.

• Could be a controller faulty or the cable.
    • You can try the conversion cable. Those cables are the same.
    • I have asked our firmware developer to make a test version of the firmware, with which users can use the add-on 1 port on the controller. So we can claim if the tool-head port on the controller is faulty.

But, we would like users to use the conversion cable and check.

Edwin

You can use this firmware to check if the toolhead port is faulty.

Test version of firmware(Use add-on 1 port as the toolhead port)

@Mystech Please make sure you’re wearing your goggles when messing with any of the laser settings. I didn’t realize that the “laser status” would actually turn the laser on at full power. Fortunately I had my goggles on and nothing under it that could have gotten wrecked.

-S

As a quick check I, once again, unplugged and re-plugged every cable on the Snapmaker and Enclosure.

1st Test: Laser Module & Enclosure

1. Unplugged enclosure from unit
  2. In touchscreen Control > Laser Power, Laser Status is off/gray
  3. Turned Laser Status to On, blue light comes on, laser power set to 15%
  4. Ran Laser calibration again, lines do get engraved/burned this time, but auto-focus fails (room was dark so I could be sure to see any light/laser)
  5. Set focus manually using the engraved/burned lines and saved.

2nd Test: 3D Printing Module

1. Enclosure still unplugged
  2. Powered unit off
  3. Installed 3D Printing Module & bed
  4. Powered up unit
  5. Ran 3D calibration, auto-leveled, etc
  6. Test printed a small item, and extrusion worked this time.

Conclusions: Both the Laser Module and 3D Printing Module work with the enclosure unplugged.

Could this be as simple as bad electronics in the enclosure or enclosure cable?

Would you like me to test the alternative Firmware (Add-On 1 as Toolhead port), and the conversion cable anyway?

5-28-2021 9-15-59 AM

5-28-2021 9-18-51 AM

Afternoon, Snapmaker-Edwin. Just touching base to see if you’d had a chance to take a look at my feedback from last week above. Thanks.

Good catch, @WilliamBosacker! I’ve applied the updated firmware.

@Mystech

It is very strange to us as well.

• Use the command M1010 to check if the Hall-effect switch is triggered when you close the door.

• S0: disable door event
    • S1: enable door event
      Please connect the machine with your PC via the provided USB cable.
  • Launch Snapmaker Luban

• Select the correct serial port

• Input the command in the console

We doubt the Hall-effect is faulty.

• As for the 3D printing module, you can control the gear via the touchscreen when the enclosure doors are close.

Morning, all. I’ve updated the firmware and run the hall-effect commands from @Edwin.

Both the laser and the 3d printer modules are now working as expected and I’m able to use both!

Thank you so much for all your help and persistence in getting the issues addressed. Looking forward to making amazing things!

2 Likes