Is there a way to turn the spindle off in cnc mode? For use with drag knife for vinyl cutting

Is there a way to turn the spindle off in cnc mode? For use with drag knife for vinyl cutting ?

Ive done this with a large multicam 3000 cnc router.
You set the depth to the thickness of the backing paper. And you turn off the spindle . And it free spins. Thus way with a drag knife. You could cut things like vinyl, tin/ brass/ copper foils. And other thin thin materials.

I feel its an easy enough thing to accomplish. And could prolb change a 1 to a 0 in the g code somewhere or similar. But it would be cool if there was a slider or check box somewhere in lubian. ? Haven’t got mine yet. But have been playing with lubian some.

Thanks

I’m not aware of any setting in luban to do this. If you wanted to modify the gcode you would need to remove any calls to set the spinal speed (so it does not turn the spinal motor on again) and turn off the spinal motor (so it spins freely)

1 Like

It’s easy to change the g-code.

M3 is the code for spindle/laser on
M5 is the code for spindle/laser off.

There’s usually just one command for spindle speed. Can always do a search to make sure.
Delete it or set to zero.
Generally with speed it’s the command S followed by speed, so S12000 would be 12000 rpm.
I’ve also seen it as power by %, so full power is P100. Usually only laser uses P though.

-S

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification S, I was thinking of it like an extruder witch is way wrong!

You might be interested in a drawing module, although there’s some discussion if that would work with a v2 snapmaker.

2 Likes

Someone on FB group has had success with a marker holder they created.
Think it was Lee Jihun. Been a few months since they posted it.

-S

2 Likes

Thank you all.
Was debating if thats dooable with the bed. As ita not fully flat.

At work we have a multicam 3000 router table with a vacume bed and use a pice of mdf on top of that. Mainly for uhmw polyethylene. But randomly did large vynil stickers with the cut knife . thinking some smaller ones would be cool. *(because who gets a cricket anyways jk)

1 Like

Be easy enough to take a piece of mdf and make your own vacuum bed. Mill it flat if it isn’t flat enough already.

-S