Installer question

Is it better to uninstall the old version before installing the new one or just install over the old one?
I notice that there are some 62k files in that installation!!! My Solidworks only has 16k. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@JKC20? This is an example of questions that never seem to get answered. :grin:

We are working on the next update which will be released very soon. I will have to defer to @parachvte, who has more knowledge in Luban. He should be able to answer your question. :sweat_smile:

You can always delete files under _cache folder, which are files that are generated when using the software. Every time the software starts, it will check all temporary files and try to remove them.

But 62k files are too many, please check your folder if itā€™s the cache case. Otherwise Iā€™d like to know your case in detail and provide a fix.

In old versions of Snapmakerjs, every installation will erase user folder. With recent versions, we keep user profiles when install new versions. User data is separated from software installation folder, itā€™s something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local/Snapmaker Luban on Windows.

In next version we are providing 3D printing profile import/export, which makes you are able to export profile for a clean reinstallation.

1 Like

In looking at the Mac version (you can examine the package contents with a control-click on the file) it shows 66,404 files in the ā€œResourcesā€ folder. Most of which are in the ā€œapp/node_modules/@jimpā€ folder. Some 55,989.

Edit: I looked at the Package contents for earlier versions and they only had around 9k-12k files. It is a version I downloaded from Github if that makes a difference.

Edit2: I just looked at the version on the forum and itā€™s the same, 66k files.
3.3.0 was 192.6 MB in size.
3.3.3 is 238.4 MB in size.

I realized the application size is growing, but didnā€™t look into it.
@jimp shouldnā€™t have that many filesā€¦Iā€™ll check it.

Update: Seems like dependencies that submodules of @jimp are also included (including sub node_modules folders).

Update 2: Itā€™s caused by two versions of @jimp are both required, we will fix it in next version.

2 Likes

On my PC at work:
423 MB
212 MB just in ā€œ@jimpā€
Hmm, just about every sub-folder in there as 1707 files in it.