Hi, welcome to our forum! Please introduce yourself. =)

Hi,

I’m Diederick from South Africa. My Snapmaker is currently at the courier depot but will be collecting it on my way home today. I am a high school Engineering Graphics teacher, so will be using it to print some of the objects the learners are drawing as well as for personal projects.

This is my first venture into the world of 3D printing, so lots to learn but looking forward. Have some CnC experience though.

3 Likes

Hi.

My name is Harry, I am a software developer by day and a farent (ferret parent!) by night.

I am a complete beginner at all things 3D, Laser & CNC… but have high hopes to reinvigorate my tinkering with the various Raspberry PIs and Arduinos that I have. I have lofty goals but little ability! I will also be printing little toys for my kids (the human ones!)

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Vic. I am an electric engineer. I’d like to use my snapmaker to build the toys and the robot accessories combined with motor and sensor. And I’m totallly new in this 3D area.

2 Likes

Why am I still not allowed to create forum topics? I’ve been in the forum for weeks, have commented and replied to things and whatnot. This forum isn’t very useful without being able to create topics… >_<

So, I’m asking here instead…

I want to print this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1559425

But am afraid it will fall over. They suggest using a large Raft, but the Snapmaker 3D software only seems to let me say whether I want a Raft, but not how big it is, and the Raft it tries to user here is tiny. Is there a way to make the Raft bigger?

Have you tried creating a topic within one of the top level categories?
Have you tried JUST posting within one of the existing topics?

For example. This topic is for introducing yourself. Hint: You’re posting in the wrong place.
That is possibly why they’ve restricted creating top level topics, too many people want to create a new topic for everything instead of finding an appropriate existing topic to post in.

Have you read the “ABOUT” and “FAQ” sections of the menu? I believe it explains some of this there.

Regards,
Tony

1 Like

Er. There aren’t even that many existing topics, and I did look. I know this thread is the wrong place – I posted here because there was no right place for the question I just asked. I searched the forum for “raft” and the one post didn’t address my query, and I couldn’t find a good place for it. In most forums, that’s when you create a new topic. But do point me to where it should have went, otherwise, hint: try looking around to make sure your claim holds up before being condescending.

Hi ! I’m chocolate maker and i want to create new moulds and play with ! I’m also in charge of a big community of sport lovers and i want to create some objects with our logo ! I’m waiting for my package and then : 3 2 1 GO !

4 Likes

So your almost in the right topic. This “Category” is “Getting Started” and the “Topic” here is "“Hi, welcome to our forum! Please introduce yourself. =)” If you click on the “Getting Started” item in the menu it takes you to all the Topics listed under “Getting Started”

Sorry if I repeating things you already know or have explored, I’m just trying to be thorough.

So are you saying that none of the Topics under Getting Started are suitable? And that you can’t create a new Topic there?

Correct. There are only 18 topics total in Getting Started, including this one, and none of them seemed right for asking about how to change the Raft setting in Snapmaker 3D. None of them seem the right place to ask questions about the Snapmaker 3D software at all really. I could try to post in “What software do you use?” or maybe “Total noob on this 3D printer , need help!”, but I’d be pretty off-topic on those threads too, though I could argue I fit the thread title a little better.

Probably it’d really work best as a topic under “Software and Firmare” / “Snapmaker3D for 3D Printing”, but I can’t create a topic there either. I suppose it’d kinda fit the “Custom Print Settings” thread, though having every thread title be super-general and a mix of questions makes it all the harder to look for already answered questions, which defeats the point in limiting topic creation. :confused:

It’s all the more frustrating because the page says “There are no more Getting Started topics. Why not create a topic?” and clicking to create a new topic brings up a form and it let me fill it out and everything, but when I hit create topic I just get an error message saying “You are not permitted to view the requested resource.” I e-mailed Snapmaker support and they said this was intentional. I thought it was a new user thing and would clear up, but it’s been weeks and I still can’t really use the forum, which creates a Catch-22 problem if the idea is supposed to be you post on existing threads enough to build up experience or something.

To clarify, I didn’t post here out of confusion – I posted here out of frustration and know people at least read this thread and I might get a response (fwiw, I didn’t, but I ended up working around the problem by adding some junk to the model to cause the auto-generated raft to be bigger). I totally get the tendency of people to just ask without looking and wanting to combat that, but locked down like this the forum is barely useful for actual questions.

4 Likes

Ok got it. I think they changed the Topic Creating Capability requirement to be a minimum of one months participation. I may be off on that and maybe they added some other requirements.

FYI I created a “Random HELP ME!!” topic in this “Getting Started” Category for you where you could post.

Also, there is a little bit of posting in the “Forum Feedback” category that is the best place to comment on the Forum.
I know because I’ve posted a bunch in there. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How to Take an Image File To G-Code File For a CNC Router or Mill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfNAhM_NLg&list=WL&index=56

1 Like

Hi trampi3,
I apologize that I am using the “hello forum” for this message but am not aware of any other way to reach out to you.
Would it be possible for you to write a “how to” to hook up SmartMaker with an OctoPi server? I have a rapberry pi w sitting around but didn’t get around to setting up my octopi as I am not sure I know how to make it work with snapmaker.
configure
For everyone who has flagged this message… Thanks for taking the time to do so…
I have got the answer from trampi3 and other people have also been able to use his response to set up their own OctoPis
I would have deleted this message if I could… I apologize to everyone who finds my query offensive or off topic.
Thanks

Hello nmohnot,

Try the “How Do I Set It Up” section on the page below.
OctoPi

The Snapmaker uses Marlin firmware, so the vanilla Marlin settings in OctoPi work just fine.

If you get stuck, I will throw a detailed step by step for you.

Good luck! :grin:

1 Like

Hi everyone.
My name is kazuaki. I’m a retired mechanical designer of SLR camera from japan.
I received my Snapmaker in last monday and assemble today.
This is my first 3D printer.

4 Likes

Got my Snapmaker a couple weeks ago and have created some great things! Never had a 3D printer before so there’s a major learning curve but I’m learning and loving it!
Can’t wait to try the CNC and Laser!

3 Likes

My Snapmaker was assembled and the test sample was created today. it was wonderful result.
However, I have one problem.
M4x8 screw is too short for mounting the foot, and M4x12 screw is necessary.

Hi Snapmaker. Did you change the foot parts?

@kaz did you try installing the foot the other way? The wider part should be at the top,

Hi … I’m Don, I have been involved in 3D printing as a hobbyist for just on 5 yrs.
In that time I have produced many many items of use in my hobby. It was inevitable that in
time I would want to look at producing models by laser technique and Snapmaker offered this
method. CNC has always been a thought in the background and Snapmaker provides a good start into this which is somewhat new to me even though I know the basics.
My Snapmaker arrived a bit sooner than expected and was a delight to assemble. I was very impressed by it’s solidity and engineering. I first started with the 3D printing to compare with results from my usual 3D printer and soon found in many respects, (depending on the type of model) that Snapmaker was producing a cleaner,finer and better result. Because of this I embarked on a hobby project that I would never have attempted on my regular 3D printer and the results have been excellent.
Sadly my laser beam failed after less than an hour of operation and am awaiting a replacement or a software fix.
As for CNC there’s a bit of a learning curve here so this I will put on the back burner but from some ‘crude’ tests I can see it is going to produce great results.
Happy ‘Snapmaking’ DVW

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Daniel, I will hopefully receive my snapmaker tomorrow. I am planning to use the Snapmaker mainly for prototyping parts for my quadcopter.

4 Likes

Hello from Montana! Just received my snapmaker today. Excellent shipping and easy to put together. Had a tough time getting filament loaded but was great after that. Printed one of the snapmaker samples worked like a charm. My main use of this is for uav part printing so much nicer to have your own printer for prototyping.

IMG-20180205-WA0003

5 Likes