Flat End Mill plunged full depth?

I set up some 3mm clear acrylic to CNC cut. I set the Target Depth to 3mm and the Step Down to 0.5mm. Sent g-code to workspace then went through the tool setup and set the Flat End Mill on “Z” axis to 0.01mm off job. Run a boundary check and then started the job. The Flat End Mill plunged full depth into job. What am I doing wrong?

Did you set the work origin before starting job (x,y & z)? Boundary check doesn’t check Z axis.

Used the Lock Block at position “B”

It cut the clear acrylic to what I wanted and a little into the bed and I hit emergency stop. If I let it go, it would of step down and cut further into the bed.

Used the Lock Block at position “B”
It cut the clear acrylic to what I wanted and a little into the bed and I hit emergency stop. If I let it go, it would of step down and cut further into the bed.
I did marked the centre of the acrylic sheet and set the work origin to 0,0.
Any ideas?

What was the program you used to generate the file?

If it’s in Luban’s CNC tool, send a screenshot of your job settings for the toolpath as well give us a rough idea as the thickness of the material itself. You should cut ideally a little below the thickness of the material you’re cutting into to get a nice clean cut from the stock.

Ideally as well, if you plan on separating the part from the rest of the stock, you should program tabs into the design to make sure the part doesn’t break free from the rest of the material and fly off across your enclosure.

I used the “L” lock at position B. Set the work area to 210 x 297mm (A4) size. The acrylic thickness is 3mm. The cut-out area was 240 x160mm. I did mark the centre of the acrylic sheet and set the work origin to 0,0. Calibrated CNC 3 axis on Artisan and set the “Z” to 0.1mm off work piece. Generated G-code with Luban.

1 Like